Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am looking to buy an '05 Discovery. I am trying to get as many reviews as possible on it. What does everyone think of it? Is it worth the $48k?

Andy

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have seen one on the road- it was a hideous bright Lime green colour. However, that aside, I think it looked quite nice. It certainly looks different to the old Disco II, and its noticable that it is lower. However it doesn't look much longer (it is only 2 inches more, I suppose).

We have owned 2 Discovery Is, and whilst they have been fantastic cars you cannot help but continualy notice that the chassis was designed for a totally different vehicle. They always looked a bit out-of-proportion (too tall, not wide enough, with Range Rover windows grafted into them and lights from the Sherpa van- a real 'parts-bin special!!).

The new is looks like a well designed, solid machine. I am pleased that they resisted the trend to cover it in chrome and flashy exterior trim (e.g new Land Cruiser, Shogun), and from the front it looked quite imposing.

Only the back view didn't work for me- the rear lights (way too big) and the lack of a spare wheel made it looks a bit bland, but that's about it.

The one I saw was a fully-badged TdV6 HSE, and it was stonking along the road at about 70-80 mph. It was being driven by a man who was staring fixedly ahead of him with a slightly manic look, like someone trying to land an aircraft in a dense snow storm. He seemed to be enjoying himself though. :)

From the brief glimpse of the interior I saw the beige/black trim seems to work well, and it looked very modern and up-to-date ( I only saw it for about 2 seconds). It had the very-rear seats folded down, and it seemed to have a lot of rear stowage space.

If the Disco III is as good as the reviews have said (superb on-road, jaw-droppingly-amazing off road) and all the technology works (and keeps working) then it probably is worth the money for a top-spec model- but would you really want to risk taking it extreme off-roading. Same problem as the Range Rover III- the world's best off-road vehicle, but it costs so much you would never want to get it muddy (well I wouldn't....)

Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am very interested as a replacement to Old Beast (34 years old) that I have - however as a bush car I would be worried about protecting my investment.

Wonder when the new Defender will come out - and in what form???

/viz

·
Registered
38 Posts
:confused

I live on one of the many factory test routes and have been seeing the ugly blighter for months.

In white it looks like a refrigerator.

We live in trendy, colourful times so I suppose it looks like a pea green refrigerator, if that is your "taste"! There have been some very odd, bright colours.

Should be the dogs dangly bits off road, until the airbags fail or the sensors get ripped off by a branch.

Had a close look at one at a fleet show recently and it does look nice close up but oh! some tacky placky to be found inside. The door grabs are like the plastic tray in a biscuit selection, urrrgh.

Gripper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not Sure

Until recently I have been living near Gaydon (where LR and alot of other makes test from) Have seen loads around and not keen on the rear end (excuse my french) A bit van like, to flat and well.. boring. Often see them trailer testing with massive weights and they seem very capable (always over taking me in my 110). A friend of mine used to be a test driver (not as exciting as it sounds, he would have 8 hours to put 500 miles on it over all roads) They run them continually to test the mileage. He said it was lovely to drive very similar to rangie but better off-raod. The towing is said to be top-notch. Shame there so ugly (sorry)

·
Registered
139 Posts
what was that ford model?

edsell?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like some of the other posts, I've seen one up close. I found it to be impressive. Seems to be a better performer than the RR according to reviews in UK and French LR mags. Has a proper chassis too. I'm a Defender man, so my advice is to hang on to your cash, but don't hold your breath, I bet it will be available over the pond when it does come out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hideous

thats the first picture Ive seen of one and god its awfull a new range rover front end stuck on a freelander rear end uuuuuurrrrrrggggggghhhhhh

sorry started to give the discovery a secong look in the last year or so but this is definatly not for me thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Living in the Gaydon area, I see lots of Discovery 3 every day. At first, my reaction was much like some others voiced here and I thought of it as an ugly, square brick. However, it has now grown on me and I think it will become seen as a clasic. Oddly enough, I think it looks best in white! Not many vehicles you can say that about!
Post this thread again in 6 months and see how opinions change. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all

Discovery 3, well I have never been a fan of the disco but if there was ever any chance of being pursuaded then this monster has ensured that that will not happen, Disco's will always be the poor mans range rover.

Apparently Landrover have decided to produce products that will please there biggest market place which is North America. This is why it does not appeal to us in the Uk. I have seen many and the general views I have heard use words like ugly, hideous, deformed and the one I like that refered to a white specimen was that it is a fat ugly american fridge on wheels.

But then this is the way things are going, SUV's to earn the big dollars and forget the true heritage of the landrover, it's just a shame when you see the badge " The worlds best 4x4 by far " on things like freelanders.

Roy

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with spectric here...what a pig this thing is. I can see soccer moms picking this thing up in droves, 18" rims...yeah! Automatic transmission? Sure, I can't drive a stick...oh, does it have the navigation system? How about a 300w stereo? Ok, where do I sign?

I'm sure it's capable enough, but really, who is going to take a $50k vehicle into the woods? I guess if you have to have the latest and greatest...so be it...

If someone were to give one to me, I'd drive it for a few days, sure. But I'd give it back after the novelty of 12mpg wore off. Also, I can't drive an auto tranny vehicle for more than a few days...too mind numbing.

I guess my perspective is that there are a whole bunch of things that I could spend $50k on...and a vehicle isn't one of them. Sheesh, with depreciation you lose what $5-7k a year...for what? We have beater cars for the daily drivers. My Civic gets me 42mpg on average and costs me a few hundred dollars a year to keep on the road. Any money I save can be spent on other projects, including the series trucks...which are like nothing else on the road.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some of us across the pond also hate it

I agree with you that LR is trying to put out a more mass market product. I have no doubt that here in the US LR will sell a lot if them. Here it is called the LR3. Wouldn't want people over here to be afraid of the product because it has a name similar to one that people actually use off road. ;)

People will lease them here. Someone will figure out how to remove all of the potentially failing electronics and gadgets and replace them with some solid parts. Then the rest of us will be able to pick them up cheap (after they introduce the sure to be even more awful LR4), modify them to work correctly and have a blast. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Gordon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, I would love to crap on the soccer moms buying cars like this, but the fact that they create the market for them which allows me to buy a 60k car for 14k after they deal with all the initial bugs, depreciation, and never use any of the offroad features, sounds pretty damn good to me!

Personally, I am looking forward to when I can get one of the new RRs for 20k in about 3-4 years. Thanks soccer moms!

-Coach

P.S. That thing in the pic is pretty damn ugly!

·
Registered
317 Posts
CoachDitka,
Ah, that's a good point, hadn't thought about that before...prolly because I won't be in the market for one of these things...but yeah, I could see someone else taking the depreciation hit...esp if it's $45k...eek.
Bogatyr

·
Registered
321 Posts
haven't seen one on the road or up close but seems some pics of it and i think to myself... what the hell was those designers thinking when the came up with this thing
sam

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, the consensus appears to be that it is pig ugly because it does not look like land rovers from the past and none of you will be buying one because they are aimed at being a popular buy in the US. You all seem to want a Series I replica that would sell for about a quarter of the LR3 price. Then, when the company goes bust, you can all spend your lives trying to keep them going!
Sorry, but you are all living so far in the past that your vehicle tastes are only now supplied by remote corners of the third world. :buttrock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
sorry not a big fan off it my self. it just looks like a long freelander with a square fromt end on it. i dont think it will take of in this country. :bgreen:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all

The really worrying thing is that if they can create this frankenstein from a disco then what will they create from the defender ?

I say they should hang up the defender badge because in this modern world of safety and legislation a proper workhorse can no longer be manufactured within the confines of rules.

If it had been like this at Trafalgar the gunnery teams would have had to wear ear defenders and wrap the cannon balls up in cotton wool to minimise the impact !

Roy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts