Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the 89 rover onto the freeway going about 50, when all of a sudden, i push the gas to speed up and the car dies. So i pull over and the car is idling fine, as i try to push on the gas pedal, it doesnt go past the 500 rpm mark, its not the accelerator cable, what is it? :dunno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
vince80 said:
I was driving the 89 rover onto the freeway going about 50, when all of a sudden, i push the gas to speed up and the car dies. So i pull over and the car is idling fine, as i try to push on the gas pedal, it doesnt go past the 500 rpm mark, its not the accelerator cable, what is it? :dunno:
Hi,
I also have an 89 RR and had the same thing happen to me!! Going along quite nicely then try to accelerate and will not rev up etc.
Nursed the car home at about 1000rpm (thats all it would do) and after a few checks, borrowed my mates ecu for a test and the car was fine again!! swapped them back over and the problem was back!!!
so time to buy a replacement!! found it on e-bay but even second hand in the uk they are like gold dust!! paid £72 for it and it worked fine, hope that helps, even if not in the pocket.
Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
vince80 said:
Could be a throttle position sensor if it has one that is..kinda sounds like one to me anyways
Brian

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
A TPS with color graphics!

As always be careful removing. I don't think there are any serviceable parts or anything you can do with it. Two bolts and there you go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Catalytic Converters?

My 89 had a similar problem and it was the catalytic converters (yes, two on this vehicle). One was totally shot, the other was getting there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts