Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the heads on my 1999 discovery series 2 are warped beyond recovery(.012 lh bank, .014 rh bank) After seeing the head gasket on the RH side, I am amaized that it still ran at all, It was blown on #2,4,and6.The left side was'nt blown yet. My temp sending unit took a dump, guage said "normal operating temp" (half way on the guage which is normal)NOT SO!!! By the time all the bells and whistles go off, its already at 284 degrees and climbing, well as you know by then it's too late.So I need a set of heads that will fit a 1999 disco 2. Any help on the interchange would be greatly appreciated. Will heads with sai work if the ai holes are sealed? Are the heads from a 4.6 compatable? I refuse to get frustrated I had jeeps all my life and I will never go back, only a LR owner would understand.:Thank you all.(especially Discomike) My email is [email protected]

· Premium Member
102 Posts
I don't have the RAVE manual in front of me right this second, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the factory maximum for milling the heads .02 in? If so, you're inside that. Just take them to a machine shop and have them milled, and get a valve job done while you're at it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re: interchange

I can see whare my ststement was in error,the numbers given were how far past allowable tolerance they warped.I found a 4.6 that is in great shape.If it will bolt to my transmission that would be wonderful.So far the only difference that I can see is the displacement in the cylinder itself.They use the same head gasket and top end. I know enough to ask befor "I do the transplant" cuz I dont want to have to do it again. a 1999 4.0 to a 1999 4.6 out of a range rover(99). I welcome all advice as to I am new at this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.