Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've pulled apart and exposed my lower passenger seat to figure out why only the seat height adjuster is working, and I found 4 harnesses with nothing connected to them. Anyone know if this is normal or what am I missing?

For the record:
- 95 NAS LWB classic
- electric seats
- ONLY height adjustment works
- have NOT cleaned switch yet
- two 30a fuses are good, "max 70A" fuse missing (?)

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1376375922.356724.jpg

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
70 fuse is for your ( removed air suspension). I'm assuming that everything else that is disconnected is related. Judging from the pic, it is. There are two relays that go back into the loom that then drops down to the compressor and valve block under the truck directly under the seat. If it is still there, it's a bonus. You can rewire the compressor and have on board air to inflate tires, run air tools etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clean the switch. It gets full of junk. A spray of contact cleaner often helps. The switch itself is quite a piece of fiddly work and can be reconditioned if you have patience and good manual dexterity.

·
Registered
255 Posts
it's an old problem. seat switches get cruddy and some functions stop working. I have cleaned mine several times.

take the switch out of the truck, and place it in an empty shoe box. remove the switch top by prying nicely, and watch all the little balls and springs and contacts go all over the place. glad you have the box!

clean all the parts and maybe even sand lightly the contacts. now try to put it all back together with the springs, balls and contacts in the right place. you can do it. if you are successful you should have been a surgeon.

really not that big of a deal, or you can source new ones through Mercedes after market parts; same switch

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's an old problem. seat switches get cruddy and some functions stop working. I have cleaned mine several times.

take the switch out of the truck, and place it in an empty shoe box. remove the switch top by prying nicely, and watch all the little balls and springs and contacts go all over the place. glad you have the box!

clean all the parts and maybe even sand lightly the contacts. now try to put it all back together with the springs, balls and contacts in the right place. you can do it. if you are successful you should have been a surgeon.

really not that big of a deal, or you can source new ones through Mercedes after market parts; same switch
Ok I will perform the "should I have been surgeon" test soon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i'm talking about this! by champlain rover old post

Having just taken apart and successfully cleaned the two seat switches for my two 95 LWBs, I'm writing to offer a service.

If the ball bearings, contacts and springs which go everywhere when you open the seat switch box intimidate you (as they did me until I finally took the time to read OkieRover's repair instructions), you can send them to me and unless there are broken or missing parts, I'll clean, test and send them back to you.

Not looking to make money. Just asking $30.00 to cover the contact cleaner, dialectic grease, etc. and my time. A lot better than spending over $150 for new ones as I almost did when my seat got stuck forward.

Also, if you have old switches I can use for parts, I'd welcome them!

If interested, email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Chris

ChamplainRover

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm talking about this! by champlain rover old post

Having just taken apart and successfully cleaned the two seat switches for my two 95 LWBs, I'm writing to offer a service.

If the ball bearings, contacts and springs which go everywhere when you open the seat switch box intimidate you (as they did me until I finally took the time to read OkieRover's repair instructions), you can send them to me and unless there are broken or missing parts, I'll clean, test and send them back to you.

Not looking to make money. Just asking $30.00 to cover the contact cleaner, dialectic grease, etc. and my time. A lot better than spending over $150 for new ones as I almost did when my seat got stuck forward.

Also, if you have old switches I can use for parts, I'd welcome them!

If interested, email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Chris

ChamplainRover
Massive WIN for the rover community. I've emailed Chris.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got an error when trying to email Chris, probably user error on my part. Anyhow, my curiosity got the best of me. I pulled apart the seat switch and cleaned it. All functions working now! Yay

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few pics I took in the process. I used a tiny flat screwdriver to release the tabs. Needle nose pliers for moving bearings & contacts.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1377240631.642123.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1377240639.468989.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1377240646.682636.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ugly. hope those are the before shots.
Yes I took them right after opening it up. Lots of rust and what looks like lime scale. They cleaned up good.

One tip I suspect may be worth mentioning - if you have any rusty BBs, place the good ones on the contacts and the bad ones on top the springs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts