Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and hope all are enjoying good weather and good health.

I have a quick question. I have a 1996 D1 with now 100k. What is the highest voltage the stock alternator outputs (12v-18v).

Where is the voltage regulator located, inside the alternator?

Thanks in advance.

Adam in NYC

BTW, has anyone dropped in something other than the Magneti Alternator and how hard was it ?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I have used both Bosch and MM on my 110. The Pre-serpentine belt alternators are the same as those used on serpentine belted engines internally (electrically) but they have a different case. I was indicating between 13.5 and slightly higher with the MM that started acting up (mechanical problem) so I replaced it with a Bosch I had on the shelf (ebay) and I am now indicating 14.4 VDC. Lights were perceptibly brighter, and over the longterm, I haven't noticed any battery heating or overcharging type problems. The regulators are internal to both, but there was a slight terminal location difference between one and the other. If I remember, I had to add and extension to one of the control wires to reach the terminal.
I am not sure about the cases on serpentine belted alternators, but the fan on the MM I took off was on the outside, but it was internal on the bosch.
The one thing that does piss me off, is with the prices they get for them, why can't they break down and use two bearings instead of one bearing and one bushing?
Mean Green has made a starter for LRs for a while, but I just saw JohnC say he used a Mean Green 200 amp alternator. I inquired of them about 18 months ago to see if they had one for LR and they never replied. I wonder if it's only for serpentine belted installations.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
TerryS said:
I have used both Bosch and MM on my 110. The Pre-serpentine belt alternators are the same as those used on serpentine belted engines internally (electrically) but they have a different case. I was indicating between 13.5 and slightly higher with the MM that started acting up (mechanical problem) so I replaced it with a Bosch I had on the shelf (ebay) and I am now indicating 14.4 VDC. Lights were perceptibly brighter, and over the longterm, I haven't noticed any battery heating or overcharging type problems. The regulators are internal to both, but there was a slight terminal location difference between one and the other. If I remember, I had to add and extension to one of the control wires to reach the terminal.
I am not sure about the cases on serpentine belted alternators, but the fan on the MM I took off was on the outside, but it was internal on the bosch.
The one thing that does piss me off, is with the prices they get for them, why can't they break down and use two bearings instead of one bearing and one bushing?
Mean Green has made a starter for LRs for a while, but I just saw JohnC say he used a Mean Green 200 amp alternator. I inquired of them about 18 months ago to see if they had one for LR and they never replied. I wonder if it's only for serpentine belted installations.
Yep, I have the MG 200 amp Alt. It requires a few spacers (included) and a slightly longer belt (not included) to work on a serp belt engine. I also had to trim the fan shroud a bit because the alt sits a bit higher than the stock unit. I'll get some pics tonite.

Terry, I did not go to MG directly to get it. One of the guys from the Phillyrovers Group is a reseller and he got it for me. I received it in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you fellas for the info........

I have one of those dc-to-daylight ham radios (a FT-817, for those who need to know) and the builtin voltmeter was reading high.

I took a good look at the auto battery and it was not suffering (I guess it is truly a Diehard (it came with the purchase)). I only had to fill one of the ports to the pucker state and it is charged at the proper voltage across the terminals.

I had time to rewire the driving lights off the hi-beams for independent control. I found out the interconnects to the left front amplifier and the Pioneer head unit are corroded and not letting the music pass; the speaker is idling but has power going thru it. Looks like I will have to replace the left door panel with some more wholesome, and someone had disconnected the airbag to the steering wheel.

Nothing quite like a used automobile to see what others have done.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
MG
771 Posts
Paging John C

Sorry to be a PITA - I looked all over LRO for pix of your Mean Green alternator - did you ever get to posting those?

My alt has been reconstructed 3 times and now has started making some noise - I want an end to this madness.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sos grande, vos!

·
MG
771 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly the 411 I was looking for!

John C mentions some trimming of the fan shroud - I suppose I'll figure it out when I get the alternator, but some more info would help my peace of mind...

Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You do need to trim the shroud a little . The part of the shroud that covers your pulley
will have to be trimmed because the MG ALT will sit a little higher than the stock ALT.
It is a simple modification that only takes a few minutes.

If you go with the MG ALT i would suggest upgrading your battery cables to 2.0 guage

·
MG
771 Posts
Where did you buy your MG alt? I can't seem to find a dealer that can do international shipping...

·
MG
771 Posts
Yeah, I saw them, too - they're outside the US, so they're "international", but they don't do "out-of-country" shipping.

I wrote to MG, but they haven't responded, yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mg Alt

me.guevara said:
Yeah, I saw them, too - they're outside the US, so they're "international", but they don't do "out-of-country" shipping.

I would e-mail them again . There products are great ,but they are a small
company and there customer service might be a little slower than others.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mg Alt

me.guevara said:

I found this site that says they sell MG ALT'S . International shipping as well

WWW.safari4x4.com

Go to the 4x4 products section

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.