Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a brake job and front swivel ball seal replacement on my Series III 88" I noticed a hole drilled in an odd location. Inside the wheel hub about halfway between the bearings there is a hole drilled that is angled into the bottom of one of the threaded blind holes where the drive plate bolts go into. The hole is about 7/32". I first thought was maybe a pressure vent to prevent grease from leaking out the seal and getting into the brakes. If a person used Loctite on the drive plate bolts, then it would be sealed off and useless for a vent. Perhaps at the factory they pumped grease through the threaded hole into the bearings but, that would be too big a risk of getting too much grease and getting into the brakes. So, I'm wondering what the purpose of the hole is.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
564 Posts
While doing a brake job and front swivel ball seal replacement on my Series III 88" I noticed a hole drilled in an odd location. Inside the wheel hub about halfway between the bearings there is a hole drilled that is angled into the bottom of one of the threaded blind holes where the drive plate bolts go into. The hole is about 7/32". I first thought was maybe a pressure vent to prevent grease from leaking out the seal and getting into the brakes. If a person used Loctite on the drive plate bolts, then it would be sealed off and useless for a vent. Perhaps at the factory they pumped grease through the threaded hole into the bearings but, that would be too big a risk of getting too much grease and getting into the brakes. So, I'm wondering what the purpose of the hole is.
Picture?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
564 Posts
Oops. Thought I replied, guess I didn’t. But yeah, I have no idea. I know, not exactly an exciting reply. Looks like the flux capacitor still needs perfecting.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
564 Posts
True. Then again, the DeLorean may look fast but they aren’t. I doubt it would have hit those speeds in the Twin Pines parking lot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts