Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I am a bit confused about my 1999 Discovery I because I just put $1800.00 of service into it to resolve a vibration issue which seems to increase as power is added to the throttle. When in netural, no vibration, when removing throttle while driving, no vibration, but as throttle increases with speed, vibration increases.

My local shop (4X4 Center), just charged me $1800.00 to replace a leaky front ball and joint, and repack all wheel bearings, stating this was the issue. Yet when I test drove it, the vibration was still present. They told me it was the lifters, not giving enough power to the vehicle, and that was most likely the issue. I asked if they checked the U-Joints, and they said they were fine, but the rear of the front driveshaft had some movement.

When I got home, I jacked up the car to remove the driveshaft and found a very damaged U-Joint with at least 1/4 inch of play, so my questions are...

1) Would this cause the vibration I mentioned?

2) Why could'nt my local service center find this? Yet they charged for $1800.00 to fix other items?

Frustrated Owner! :dunno:

·
Registered
317 Posts
GreyfoxVT,
Hmm, I'd certainly think driveshafts before swivels for the way you described the problem, but hindsight is 20/20. If you still have the shaft off of the vehicle, bring it on by to them and see what they think...sounds like the culprit to me.
Lifters? Ha.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I had numerous individuals look at my "broken" U-Joint, and they all agreed, this would cause the problem...

When I went to the Rovers North parts group, they also confirmed this would most likely be the culprit, so for $50.00 I could replace the broken item with a factory new one.

So, now what do I do about the 4X4 Centers $1800.00 bill for fixing the front ball and socket, and rebuilding the bearings, and replacing some other items which I cannot figure out why...

Feeling ripped-off! :shifty:

·
Registered
317 Posts
GreyfoxVT,
I don't know what kind of recourse you have once the bill has been paid and you are out the door of the shop. You might want to check out the VT attorney general's office to see if they might have some info particular to your state. Small claims court could be another option.

In any case, your first step needs to be contacting the shop that did all of the extraneous work and give them an earful. Make sure you talk to the manager and as a last resort bring up the courts/BBB/lawyer card...

I'm pretty suprised to hear about this kind of operation from the 4x4 shop...I thought they were a reputable kind of joint...admittedly, having an incorrect preload on the swivel balls will lead to the "wobble of death" a simple test outlined in the shop manual should be enough to diagnose that...

Unfortunately, it stinks to be on the receiving end of this. Make some calls, check out some sites and then head on over there...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as I suspected, the broken U-Joint was the culprit! I fixed it myself, and everyting is running smoothly again! Everyone I have showed this to has asked the same question, "Why didn't the 4X4 Shop find this?" and my answer is I just don't know. I intend to go back to the shop and ask what they could do to remedy this issue, but like you said, the money is already spent...

This sort of business gives me a very bad taste for both the shop, and Land Rover in general...

Still feeling ripped-off!

:freak:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The English guy who owns the 4x4 Centre used to work at Rovers North, and ran their service/ workshop, when they did that sort of stuff. He's a bit pompous, but he appears to know his stuff, the few times I have talked to him at various events. I suggest you go directly to him. A service manager is often more concerned about protecting his employer when he thinks he's in the right, but abusiness owner is more concerned about protecting his business' reputation. From what you have described, and understanding that their are often more than one side to a story, it ceretainly would appear that they made an assumption, went with it, and never road checked it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Whicj u-joint did you replace? Doesn't sound like you replaced the 2 that when failing do the most damage. The double cardon u-joints on the back side of the front shaft fail, because they did not come whith grease fitting from the factory, and they usually break either the t/case and or the transmission case. So if you still have the factory joints on the end next to the t/case, get them replace quickly.
Mike J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the rear u-joint on the front driveshaft. That fixed the vibration problem. I furthermore had a on-on-one with the manager of the 4x4 center, and he admitted they did not check everyting as asked. He was willing to help with another project and asured me of a more through check, and at no cost to me, so I guess I will live with what I have.

It was interesting to me that the notes his machanic made which indicated he had checked and greased the u-joints, but my inspection showed no grease, and the replaced part was bone dry! Even he was surprised, and stated that this was not normal work from this individual.

In any case, I did have some items fixed, but at a cost which has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am now starting to question the advantage of a Land Rover... :confused

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sounds like it is time to go to the Better Business Board and file a complaint, you will find they have a lot of strenth and can really help on getting your money back.
By the way, you mentioned you replaced the, singular, u-joint on the rear of the front drive shaft next to the t/case. Wasn't sure if that was a misprint or do you have the wrong drive shaft, cause the rear shaft is a double cardan with 2 u-joints.
Just curious,
Mike J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts