Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
very disco
1,306 Posts
those route hot coolant through the intake to warm it up and prevent freezing. i think it's called a plenum?

that needed service on one of my past D2s, and was leaking coolant.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's the throttle body heater, and a leaking TBH gasket is one of the most infamous and well-covered topics on this and other forums. Just do a search. It's poorly designed, which leads to it leaking repeatedly. Many DII owners simply pull the lines of the TBH nipples and plug them with small screws or bolts. Doing so has absolutely zero affect on the rest of the cooling system. That's what I did years ago.

In another thread British Parts of Utah posted that they have recently introduced a gasket made of silicone to try to overcome the poor design that causes conventional gaskets to leak repeatedly (linked below).

https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/coolant-leak-throttle-body-93794/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that honestly answers my question as I was just rationalizing why I couldn’t by-pass this. I’m going to plug them tonight. Is there any difference between plugging or just connecting them?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Plugging is easier, in my opinion, and as I said doing so has absolutely zero affect on the rest of the cooling system. Those two small lines serve only the TBH.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
I have eliminated it on my trucks with no noticeable difference, also seems to make bleeding the cooling system easier ?rubber hose originally coolant tank to throttle and throttle to intake manifold (behind the alternator)
I just ran new hose intake to coolant tank/ reservoir.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
-1 less hose to leak
- 2 less connections to leak
- as well as no throttle heater to leak
- straight flow from intake to coolant tank so less places high in the system for air to get trapped.

Other than that “no benefits” ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You missed my point. I meant that it's unnecessary to run a line from the intake to the reservoir when you bypass the TBH. I eliminated the line from the reservoir to TBH and plugged the line from the intake to the TBH.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Don’t think I missed your point.
So you have no small line from the engine to the resivoir?
If so I definitely disagree.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No. There's no need. It's useless.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Next time you bleed the cooling system watch how much air travels out of that line= lots
Oh I guess you can’t. You eliminated it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts