Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times but sometimes feelings change. What does everyone like out there? What are you liking now? Any Pics? I want a half and wife wants a whole rack for entire roof on Disco...can't decide.
Anyone see the one that is on ebay? I think it is called Zacatal Rack? Anyone have this or buy this one? I think it is like 50" in total length so I guess it would be considered a short rack. Comes equiped with a jack attachement and shovel attachment and light attachments on the rack.

THULE, YAKIMA, LR , Zacatal ??? Too many options...don't know what to buy.
Need help on this one.

·
2,986 Posts
Safety Devices == LR Rack .. that is the most prefered by everyone.. looks real nice, very functional.

www.northwestparts.com makes a pretty good knock-off of the safety devices rack, for a cheaper price with more options. They also have half-racks.

The hannibal is frequently used rack... it's flat so you have more room to work with.. if you're going to be doing a lot of roof-top camping, this is ideal.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I am a yakima person myself..I love the yakima racks..never had a problem and have had them on many cars...Here is a pic of my RRC with a yakima!!

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
keptin said:
steven, where did you get your rack? How much did it cost? and does it follow the contour of the roof or is it flat?

Josh, no contour, just flat, which I like b/c I can haul bigger stuff easier. I'll admit the contour looks better but I have found the flat to be more practical. I got it used for 450 from a guy i wheeled with. He ended up never using it b/c he took out his back seats...he has no kids, only a dog. Check out dweeb for someone selling a rack but you have to be quick b/c Steve (muddy oval) tends to snatch them all up - lol - that is an old joke from dweeb. If I had known you were in the market for one, ibjettin would have sold you his off of his D2 before he sold it.
If I had the $ to burn, I would get the Hannibal rack. I like the fact that it has no front piece.

·
Artist
90 Posts
rack

I agree with keptin get the Safety Devices or NWP rack... Cost diffence is more than likely in the end not that different.... I bought a Thule for my Golf it was about $750 with 3 bike mounts.... I love the Thule but for my disco I would get a Safety Devices or NWP rack... :buttrock: Thule over Yakima... Grew up with Thule Yakima is a johnny come lately... :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
roverX said:
Josh, no contour, just flat, which I like b/c I can haul bigger stuff easier. I'll admit the contour looks better but I have found the flat to be more practical. I got it used for 450 from a guy i wheeled with. He ended up never using it b/c he took out his back seats...he has no kids, only a dog. Check out dweeb for someone selling a rack but you have to be quick b/c Steve (muddy oval) tends to snatch them all up - lol - that is an old joke from dweeb. If I had known you were in the market for one, ibjettin would have sold you his off of his D2 before he sold it.
If I had the $ to burn, I would get the Hannibal rack. I like the fact that it has no front piece.

Thanks for info. Naw, im not really in the market yet.....im still researching. I like SD racks, but they are very pricy.....I will probably go with NWP and perhaps get it powerdercoated locally. Either way I still have things to work out like how much gas mileage it kills at 70 mph...ive heard a lot....and just the price of one without needing one yet. For the next year I will probably just fab up a bar to hold some aux. lights on top and use the back for cargo.....could take out the double seat in the rear for long trips..

·
Registered
622 Posts
After much research, I'm getting the Hannibal. I do a lot of camping, and the wife is not much for sleeping on the ground in a tent, so she said she'd buy me the Hannibal tent - I have to buy the rack. I can handle that deal... :buttrock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys rock!

First off...you guys are awesome for posting pics...Keptin...love your rig man.

Hannibal?> Can you elaborate on this one...not familiar...where are you purchasing...have any pics?

Did anyone put lights on a Safety Devices Rack? Does the SD rack come with light mounts on front? Where is the best place to purchase the SD?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
The SD rack can be found at www.expeditionexchange.com/safetydevices its around $1200 I believe, and shipping is probably a beeach. NWP you can find at www.northwestparts.com if your interested at comparing them.

Safety devices is definatly higher quality, but for nearly TWICE the price......partly because they are shipped from the UK.

Thanks about the rig thing....but I just want to make sure; the green one is not my rig.....this is MY rig;

·
Registered
622 Posts
jkcoda007 said:
Hannibal?> Can you elaborate on this one...not familiar...where are you purchasing...have any pics?
Go to this website to learn everything you need to know about Hannibal racks...also posted some pics of a D1 for you from their site...

http://www.hannibalusa.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
I built my own... I would post a pic but I am not on my computer. I went full length and put the expanded metal "floor" on the bottom of the 1" square tubing to keep stuff from sliding around and it works great!
I would consider what it is you want to caryy on your rack and what you want to mount on it (do you want to carry a couple pieces of luggage, a bike, sheets of plywood, lights?).
I am toying around with some ideas like using removable sand ladders for the platform and a "sunk" tire mount so plywood can lay flat on the top rails of the rack, and even intergrating a roof rack with an exterior roll cage (intergrated with a snorkel in the cage tubing!). I like to make function/durability a priority and form a close second, so it works and looks good.
I might post a list of rack accessories when I post a pic of my rack. If you can't wait: http://landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5681 and scroll down till you see the white rover and the yeller 6x6....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out BajaRacks. I just picked one up from Columbia Overland and love it! Tighter floor mesh than a SD and just as sturdy for just over $700 new.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
a 4 years in the ground zombie thread....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.