Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a 3-inch lift kit for my 98 disco 1! i was wondering what size tire will i be able to run with minimal cutting of the fender. I'm looking for the max size and anything else that may be of use!

thanks in advance to your support.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I've just purchased a 3-inch lift kit for my 98 disco 1! i was wondering what size tire will i be able to run with minimal cutting of the fender. I'm looking for the max size and anything else that may be of use!

thanks in advance to your support.
Research a "Camel Cut" named after what they did to the vehicles in the Camel Trophy https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/camel-cut-39163/
You need to trim back the last few inches of the rear wheel arches.
If you have a standard front bumper, it may also need to be trimmed a little.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After making cuts and refolding over a hard wood buck cut to the new desired arch radius I would add an aluminum backup bar, installed it behind those cuts then Tig those cuts to the bar, (bar makes for perfect backup when welding also closing up those open pie cuts. Way stronger than leaving the fender roll cuts open as you'll end up with growing metal fatigue cracks. Prep, prime and repaint as your already there, the cheap price you'll pay for doing body modifications.
Personally I would of gone higher up the fender arch to avoid the shallow angle change at the transition from the factory arch radius to your fender modification plus kept and followed that continuous wheel arch radius vs a transition from radius to straight line. Aluminum is so much softer and easier to work with than steel bodied vehicles JMO.
.....~~=o&o>......

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts