Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: I hope the term "gurgling" isn't misleading. This noise doesn't seem to involve liquid of any kind. "Gurgling" may be replaced with monotone-like "growling" and very mechanical-like quality to it.

Did a tune up with new wires and plug last week on my 2001 DII. Trucks runs great with better performance and fuel economy. Power delivery is smooth and (more) refined. Engine is noticeably quieter except for...

However, my Disco has always had this annoying mechanical [growling] noise that is prevalent at idle and has gotten worse since the tuneup (or more noticeable).

The noise is definitely from the engine bay and is noticeable only at idle/low parking speeds. It has a deeper-note, mechanical "[growl]" quality to it that doesn't sound very refined. And it's kinda, actually very, annoying.

What could it be?

Note: I have also noticed that I have a coolant leak that hasn't been identified to a specific location *and* a rear-engine oil leak that becomes smoky and smelly once the oil hits the exhaust pipe below. No overheating. No weird temp changes in the a/c system or fans.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If i sounds like this its a bearing going bad in one of your pulley's.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
CD, how long have you been around on the forum? By now you should know what the water fall/gurgle sound is, you have air in the system from a coolant leak which may because of your noise be from a failing water pump or head gasket.
Do you know how to check?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CD, how long have you been around on the forum? By now you should know what the water fall/gurgle sound is, you have air in the system from a coolant leak which may because of your noise be from a failing water pump or head gasket.
Do you know how to check?

Hi Mike. I edited my original post to say that the sound is not fluid or liquid-like in quality. It's completely mechanical, which makes me think that (like the video above) it's a bearing issue with one of my pulleys or the harmonic balancer.

Ever heard of anyone replacing one of those items on their Disco, Mike?

By the way, I will be doing a coolant pressure test to see where my leak is coming from. It just has nothing to do with the "growling" sound I'm referring to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Daedrix - That's EXACTLY the sound I've had. It's the low-end "whine" I'm referring to at idle.

So, I wonder *which* pulley it may be or if the harmonic balancer has to be replaced???
The way i figured it out was i just took the belt off and turned each pulley by hand and one didn't feel smooth so i replaces the bearing inside and problem fixed. BTW the bearing are common, i brought the pulley wheel to NAPA and the guy was able to read the number on it and get me an exact replacement bearing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way i figured it out was i just took the belt off and turned each pulley by hand and one didn't feel smooth so i replaces the bearing inside and problem fixed. BTW the bearing are common, i brought the pulley wheel to NAPA and the guy was able to read the number on it and get me an exact replacement bearing.
I guess I will do just that! Thanks again Daedrix!

·
Registered
202 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts