Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if you guys can give me some imput on what to buy next; looking at something around or less than $1200. This includes everything that I could possibly buy for my rover; if its worth having at this point, throw it out..

This is what my rover already has;
-3" OME Lift
-BFGoodrich M/T's 265/75-16 + modified tire carrier
-DBA Longlife Gold preformance rotors
-Dynomax catback + 3" exhaust
-custom CDL linkage
-Cut Bumper
-genuine bull bar
-K&N Air+Oil Filters
-Silvania Silverstar bulbs
-Cheapo self-wired aux. lights

perhaps you guys can make item/kit suggestions; ie: Rock Sliders+rover TYM bar = $1300 or something.

I myself have been looking at specifically rock sliders and the rover tym bar; I will be making a steering guard and other goodies (diff plates, tank guard, cat guard, etc.) myself. I probably will only be able to afford either the RTE bumper, or the sliders+something.

I take my rover out at least once a week, for around 2-3 hours and every month or so we go on a trip. I usually dont hit big rocks so thats why I would opt for an HD bar over rock sliders; the only times ive hit rocks that were too big to get around was at Rubicon; and id need more then sliders to do the whole thing (I just played around and had fun for the day).

just make some suggestions w/ pros & cons. Also, if someone can give me a link to the thread that was about what mods in stages that would be great (I cant find it :dunno: )

·
2,986 Posts
Next few things on your list should be:

Bumper (RTE is great)
Winch to go into that bumper

Rocksliders [All depends if there are a lot of rocks near you]

diff guards

skid plates

HD axles

ARB lockers

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I would go with sliders still... They will prevent major damage and let you go a few more place and further up the trails....Once you start going a little further on the trails you will find out what you need and what helps you the most...The next step is skid plates..... Me personally i want a gas tank skid and the from skid to protect all my steering components.....The bumper is very nice, don't get me wrong, i love mine, but i'd protect the underside first

·
2,986 Posts
I think diff guards should definitely be the first. Gas guard is also good, dont want to lose that precious expensive gas! As for a front steering guard, i'm still not sold on the idea. If I'm crawling over rocks, I have spotters.. the steering guard, while definitely nice, just seems to lower clearance to me. I'd much rather have a nice bumper to raise the approach angle and a winch on there incase I get stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, thats my conflict right now; I know the sliders are probably a better choice, but to pay something like $500+ on something that you cant really see (visually) the difference on. I guess its a major kid thing....you know, the whole looks. Ive been really diligent on buying stuff that makes my rover good on the trails and not a poseur vehicle (ie. winch bar and off-road tires, but no winch or diff plates). You know..

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I agree. You may not hit big rocks now,,,but eventually, as Funrover pointed out, you will. Plus, the sliders give you a solid jacking point. Diff guards can definately save you much headache & hassle on the trail.

The front bumper is a great addition, don't get me wrong, but I think the sliders & diff guards are probably more important right now, particularly if you don't run a winch. For the price of the bumper you can get a set of both.

If I had to buy diff guards right now, I would probably buy the QTs. I like the design better,,they are really diff "sliders". As for rocksliders, I would think in Reno there would be a tone of fab shops. They could probably duplicate any current Rover design out there for a reasonable price. Or you could support one of the LRO vendor/sponsors and probably have 'em shipped to you within a day or two. Good luck. :drink1:

·
MG
771 Posts
keptin said:
Also, if someone can give me a link to the thread that was about what mods in stages that would be great (I cant find it :dunno: )
Though you're already into what I would call my stage II, here's one string:

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4708

WARNING: There's a lot of off-topic discussion in this thread - most of these guys just can't concentrate...

·
Registered
734 Posts
me.guevara said:
WARNING: There's a lot of off-topic discussion in this thread - most of these guys just can't concentrate...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Here we go again............bring on the links :drink1:

·
MG
771 Posts
I just can't bring myself to do it - this is keptin's thread. We need to focus!

Don't make me break out the llamas again...

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
SCSL said:
All we need now is a tire fitment question & this thread is complete :lol:

So what size tires should Keptin run?......lol.... I had too....lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehe, I already have the tires covered....if I go any bigger I'd have to get HD axels (among other things).

Thanks guys, I think I will get the sliders & diff plates then......any opinions on brands? I know whats out there; what im refering to is the stuctural design.

I will probably only get a "sandwiching" type since EE convinced me so well. I like the Slickrock brand at EE, but it doesnt stick out from the vehicle; its flush. The only thing I am wondering is that because it doesnt stick out, the sliders wont keep my vehicle far enough away from rocks, so it would be more likely to get some panel damage.

I looked at the sliders from scorpion racing; I personally think they are kinda ugly with the tubing on the sides; just reminds me of jeeper nerf bars. I am very interested in the RTE, but roverx said that they bend....any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
keptin said:
hehe, I already have the tires covered....if I go any bigger I'd have to get HD axels (among other things).

Thanks guys, I think I will get the sliders & diff plates then......any opinions on brands? I know whats out there; what im refering to is the stuctural design.

I will probably only get a "sandwiching" type since EE convinced me so well. I like the Slickrock brand at EE, but it doesnt stick out from the vehicle; its flush. The only thing I am wondering is that because it doesnt stick out, the sliders wont keep my vehicle far enough away from rocks, so it would be more likely to get some panel damage.

I looked at the sliders from scorpion racing; I personally think they are kinda ugly with the tubing on the sides; just reminds me of jeeper nerf bars. I am very interested in the RTE, but roverx said that they bend....any thoughts??
The Scorpion ones come with or without nerf bars. The ones w/o nerf bars have two holes for a hi-lift. They are the "sandwich" type and are very strong.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hey I didnt know that, im going to check them out again.

Also jon, can you fix some (or a lot) of the pictures/links on the site at AG.....a ton of them dont show up. (more specifically the pictures of the rock sliders that would show the sandwiching/ the install instructions/ the QT diff plates that you sell)

Also your 360 degree rotatable shackles....how do those preform? Have you ever seen those exact ones that you sell being used for heavy pulls with no problem? I really want some for the bar I will eventually get :D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you also post a pic of them on a vehicle (if you have one)? And also, they arnt shorter then the sill or something? Ive seen this on some so they can accommodate larger tires.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
me.guevara said:
Don't make me break out the llamas again...

Gue, you bastard! :D

Keptin...with the way you drive. The first thing you should do is get rid of your rotoflex. Get an '88 rangie driveline and John C will tell you what to do with it. Then do the sliders cuz when I'm done with you.... :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.