Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I have never driven a vehicle off road (well other than some dirt roads here and there..) .. Anyhow I want to make sure I don't break or stress something before I head out.. I plan to head out to some place mild (probably Hollister Hills in CA) and want to make sure something stupid doesn't fall off on my first attempt. I am gonna take it SUPER easy on a easy trail..

Any suggestions on what I should check or bring would be helpful. I don't have a winch and I don't plan on buying one for now, so that is out.. Just some common sense (for those that have off roaded before) suggestions would help!

Thanks!

Serg

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
UK essentials

Flask with coffee,buttys,sausage roll and a tartan blanket to lay on the ground. Cant think of owt else.

ONz

·
Registered
454 Posts
keep it under 80, and if something gets in your way, turn! :) Off roading is somewhat of an art, but it's fun to learn. If you pick up any 4X4 magazine they usually have great tips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suggest you try and find someone else to go with (preferably someone with experience). I know you don't intend doing any hard stuff but you can often get caught out. If you do get stuck on your own then you could be in trouble. But with someone else there is always someone to either pull you out or go and get help.

Ivan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suggest you try and find some tips in a 4x4 book or magazine before you come horribly short. Things like engage low first on steep descents, keep feet well away from clutch, cadence brake if really necessary and steer into a slide if you start coming undone. Maybe you shoul look at doing a training course before you break someone or something.

But most of all, have fun!

·
Registered
298 Posts
learning to drive

Check out Difflock.com. There's a complete section on offroad driving. :drive:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Firearms.
At least 250 rounds per man.
I like the Marine Corps 4 man fire-team concept I was trained with too.
So I guess three mates if your so inclined.
I never go anywhere with out a grenade launcher. Ring mounted if possible.
You never know what you'll see off-road.
I like to be prepared.
:confused

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Difflock.com... that guy threatened to SUE ME for emailing him about this site! :mad: I made the mistake of adding his name several times to a mailing list and he said he would sue me if he got another email.. sheesh.. no thanks...

Serg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hollister Hills

Hey Serg-

Hollister Hills is great, watch out for quads and dirt bikes - they're everywhere at Hollister! There are some fun and basic fire roads and wide trails - with the Rover you'll have no issues. :drive:

Drew

·
100 quids for a days work son..
240 Posts
Hollister is cool for Dirt bikes and Rovering but about 2 blocks from my place there is a huge undeveloped lot about 12 blocks in size.. So i just make sure i have fuel and head on out there.. hehe :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Serg,
i just recently a month ago went on my first off roading adventure, i made sure to bring someone w/ me, and let them drive my rover for a bit so i could get an idea of what it was capable of..it was crazy...anyhow i recommend the OHV park in prairie City (off of 50 by sacramento) its 5 bucks all day, and they have a nice sized course, with obstacle courses...a race track...mud pitts...everything...i loved it....there is also a place in livermore to head out too....may be closer than u driving down to hollister...we should meet up, i'm going out back to prarie city on the 27th of this month, once i get my rod bushings fixed on my discovery..its a monday so we will be the ONLY vehicles out there....its fun, you should join us.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Hollister Hills

There are two seperate areas at this park. You will NOT see any quads in the area that you will be wheeling the Rover in. There is a terrain area that has a mini rubicon, mud pit, tire pit, and steep rock ( concrete ) hill. The trails are perfect for a stock Land Rover.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Serg said:
Difflock.com... that guy threatened to SUE ME for emailing him about this site! :mad: I made the mistake of adding his name several times to a mailing list and he said he would sue me if he got another email.. sheesh.. no thanks...

Serg
:shifty:

Well damn, Serg, quit spamming the guy. There's a lot to learn on there. Especially for someone who's NEVER been off road.

:drive:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Toddicus said:
Hey Serg,
i just recently a month ago went on my first off roading adventure, i made sure to bring someone w/ me, and let them drive my rover for a bit so i could get an idea of what it was capable of..it was crazy...anyhow i recommend the OHV park in prairie City (off of 50 by sacramento) its 5 bucks all day, and they have a nice sized course, with obstacle courses...a race track...mud pitts...everything...i loved it....there is also a place in livermore to head out too....may be closer than u driving down to hollister...we should meet up, i'm going out back to prarie city on the 27th of this month, once i get my rod bushings fixed on my discovery..its a monday so we will be the ONLY vehicles out there....its fun, you should join us.
Hmm... sounds great! I am off Tuesday though Friday so I am available for stuff like that mid week..

Just drop me a PM or email and we can set something up.. Siam invited me up to his "lot" and that sounds like fun, plus it's close...

Serg

·
Registered
146 Posts
The best advice I can give is go with someone and have another 4wd with you never go off roading alone its a big no no
Also get yourself some basic recovery gear snatch strap,bow shackles,shovel and plastic sheet to lay on when connecting the strap , also make sure your landy has good recovery points

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
139 Posts
some people make a living off the advertising...

Serg said:

Serg
so asking him to come to the site might be hitting his wallet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Become a very big fan of going with someone...

Someone that knows your vehicle and its limitations... i.e. entry points, exit points, departure angles.. blah blah.. great to have someone there if you mess up..

Bring a shovel. Two. maybe..
Keep your thumbs out of the wheel.. quick jaunts snap thumbs...
Tow straps (get em from Sumittracing.com or ebay).
Make sure your spare is in good shape and possibly a spare spare.
Go slow. Know your limits. Be with someone that can help you increase your skill.
Think. Think.. Think. (like I have to tell you that.. you obviously put some thought into this site :buttrock: )

It is like most sports.. know your limitations and develop a path of increasing them.

Also a grill and assorted beef is good to have.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you buy a snatch strap DON'T buy a second hand one

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Serg said:
Hmm... sounds great! I am off Tuesday though Friday so I am available for stuff like that mid week..

Just drop me a PM or email and we can set something up.. Siam invited me up to his "lot" and that sounds like fun, plus it's close...

Serg

Serg,
your never on AIM =c) anyhow i'm sure we can run around on another day also, monday's are me and my buddy's days off usually so we head out, i'm always up to head up with other people, and i'm on the way for you..i'm right off 680/24.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts