Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my self wanting a truck or SUV again lately. I've previously had a 4 cyl YJ with a stick, a lifted 2 door Tahoe and a suburban. Now my only ride is 2000 jaguar XJR, which can be inconvenient! I'd like keep jag and get a utility vehicle. I have a garage and good mechanic skills, so I'd consider something that needs work if the issue is a known one.

Here's what I need:
-To tow and launch my 21' boat. Est 4500lbs on trailer. Towing long distance is not a requirement but would be nice.
-straight axles
-cheap

A stick would be cool, not a deal breaker.

It doesn't need to be pretty. My jag is pretty flawless, so I don't want another car I have to worry about as much.

I'd like to lift it and do some light off roading. I may even take all the doors and hatch off! So my main concerns are robust engines, trans, t-case and axles. Classic? P38? Disco?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
If you want it for off road reasons with a side note pull my boat, I'd say you're on the right track. I wouldn't pull a lot of weight long distances but I like my disco towing. I've said before the balance and feel, while pulling a boat especially, is better than my 09 chevy. The brakes on my disco are also new ebc rotors and akebono pads...

I wouldn't consider these vehicles good to take the top off like you're old jeep...I could be wrong. These vehicles are certainly not cheap. I bought my disco for 5k vs 10k for a '96 model jeep or whatever, but the maintenance costs a little more, I still came out cheaper even after catching up on my issues. But hell if you own a jaguar you are probably familiar with that scenario, owning both might make you a glutton for punishment. There are a few here that own both so I wouldn't worry too much.

Maybe get a 2 wheel drive Chevy truck and a Land Rover. I got the LR first then my Chevy...so I'm with you on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want it for off road reasons with a side note pull my boat, I'd say you're on the right track. I wouldn't pull a lot of weight long distances but I like my disco towing. I've said before the balance and feel, while pulling a boat especially, is better than my 09 chevy. The brakes on my disco are also new ebc rotors and akebono pads...

I wouldn't consider these vehicles good to take the top off like you're old jeep...I could be wrong. These vehicles are certainly not cheap. I bought my disco for 5k vs 10k for a '96 model jeep or whatever, but the maintenance costs a little more, I still came out cheaper even after catching up on my issues. But hell if you own a jaguar you are probably familiar with that scenario, owning both might make you a glutton for punishment. There are a few here that own both so I wouldn't worry too much.

Maybe get a 2 wheel drive Chevy truck and a Land Rover. I got the LR first then my Chevy...so I'm with you on that.
Thanks for the feedback. Is there a resource on the difference between specific models and the pros and cons?

I bought a jag that needed timing chain tensioners and could possibly have cylinder liner issues. I just want to be more prepared.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I don't have comparison threads I could reference. When I bought mine the disco 2 seemed most available, priced right, and capabilities I was after. Solid axles kinda end there and the newest model within 8k...Don't let that thought take anything away from the rrc which I have been most impressed by since owning my first LR disco 2. The newer Lr3s are also catching on but again the solid axles and price range are gone.

I would say search you tube and google...and maybe be more specific to what would make up your mind in this comparison. Also be sure to have it checked and post possible purchases in places like this and let people rip on them.

P.S. The disco 2s have liner issues I didn't know about before purchasing mine but 160k and not an issue yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts