Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speakin of the friggin devil... (reffering to the the Oil Filter Query thread )

So I'm preparing to change my oil this morning, and while I'm gettin the tools from the shop, my dad wanted to test this new set of socket wrenches he got and drained my oil first. I later proceed to change the oil oil filter AFTER the new oil had been put in. So I do that, turn the car on, and it runs like crap! Took a 200 mile trip today and the whole time I was thinkin "it'll go away now".....10 miles later....."I'll go away now!" It didnt go away. Besides the vibrations I get from my damaged RotoFlex, my engine was all jumpy...almost as if the spark plugs were about to be goners, (which I'm changing tomorrow). What are the chances that the moment after I changed my oil my spark plugs decide to give up on me? Or what else could be the cause of the jumpiness, besides the fact my normal procedure for changing oil was changed?

I'm thinkin its definately spark plugs. When I step on it, it lags like a mofo and shakes. At one of the rest stops, I left the truck running and stepped out and heard random sputtering from the tail pipe but my engine sounds fine.

I'm all ears guys!

Thanks!

JC :drink1:

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DISCO INCUBUS said:
When you started the engine was it tapping or knocking ?
How is the oil level, oil appearance clear or foamy looking?
The engine itself sounds fine. But when you move to the back of the truck, and put your ear near the tail pipe you can hear the random sputtering.

You know, you also bring up another point, could I have put too much Oil in it? I put 6qts. But this morning was chilly so could there have been old oil that was thicker and accumulated somewhere that didnt drain?

I'll check again for oil appearance inthe morning, since it's still hot now.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
For as bad as it is running, do you have a check engine light??
A quart of oil one way or the other will not cause it to run bad. What brand of oil filter did you use, does it have the proper pressure relief spring?
I have to think it is some other unrelated problem. How many miles on your truck?
Mike J.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disco Mike said:
For as bad as it is running, do you have a check engine light??
A quart of oil one way or the other will not cause it to run bad. What brand of oil filter did you use, does it have the proper pressure relief spring?
I have to think it is some other unrelated problem. How many miles on your truck?
Mike J.
Mike, thank you,

I do have the CE light. But its from the bad O2 sensors as well. My truck has 128k. The Filter I used was a KN P/N: HP-2004. Been using those on all of my cars. I checked the oil before I came to work and it was fine. Not foamy, looks good, and level is ok.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
01001010 said:
Mike, thank you,

I do have the CE light. But its from the bad O2 sensors as well. My truck has 128k. The Filter I used was a KN P/N: HP-2004. Been using those on all of my cars. I checked the oil before I came to work and it was fine. Not foamy, looks good, and level is ok.
I like K&N filters, I use the 2003 which is the larger filter.
Have you checked the codes since this has happened to see if you picked up another code?
Mike J.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, while changing the plugs today, when I came across plug #3, I had barely put my hand on the boot when all of a sudden the wire falls out of the boot and I discover the culprit. I dont know how the wire didnt fall out with all the vibrations...it was hanging on there by what could be called a rubber thread! Keep in mind I did a 200+ mile trip! This thing was running on 7 Cyl. What a friggin truck!!!

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Glad to hear you are up and running again!! :clap:

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
01001010 said:
Guys, while changing the plugs today, when I came across plug #3, I had barely put my hand on the boot when all of a sudden the wire falls out of the boot and I discover the culprit. I dont know how the wire didnt fall out with all the vibrations...it was hanging on there by what could be called a rubber thread! Keep in mind I did a 200+ mile trip! This thing was running on 7 Cyl. What a friggin truck!!!

JC,
Better be careful,"FRIGGIN TRUCK". will get you some bad truck karma.
Speak kindly of your rig, remember there are still plenty of other things that could go wrong.

Take care,
Mike J.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Disco Mike said:
JC,
Better be careful,"FRIGGIN TRUCK". will get you some bad truck karma.
Speak kindly of your rig, remember there are still plenty of other things that could go wrong.

Take care,
Mike J.
Haha, Mike I hear ya man! But I was actually saying "what a friggin truck" in the good way...as in "damn, this thing still worked at 80mph on 7cyl". I was looking at all my gauges (which are all fully functional) the whole trip and this thing was running at normal temps, maybe lower!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.