Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Need some input here.

In the past I had a Disco 1 & loved it, but the mileage was getting up there & I didn't feel like doing a complete restore. I sold it to a young guy 3 years ago & he is still driving it every day & has not had to fix a thing.

I then built a Range Rover Classic, but missed the head room & rear cargo/jump seats of the Disco 1.

I am now looking for another Disco, but can't seem to figure out which is best.

I have a Transfer Case from a Disco 1 so the CDL in a 2001 & up swap would be doable.

Disco 1

Pros:

Non electronic transmission
Center locking diff
wheel bearings you can service

Cons

electronics, I had many problems with P/Windows & sunroof motors as well as temperamental door lock/alarm
Rusty floors
small wheel well openings

Disco 2

Pros:

larger wheel well openings
Bosch electronics
more room in the back & better jump seats

Cons:
Unit bearings
electronic transmission
no center diff lock

2003 Disco

4.6L, is it better than the 4.0L ?
Transmission is different than pre 2003 Disco 2 so a replacement would be harder to find & more expensive.
Still no locking center diff

2004 Disco

Locking center diff

1,855 Posts
Disco 3 with lock, rear extra seats, and problems solved
Dave

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
What do you plan to use it for? Daily driver? Toy? Off-road?
Disco Dave loves his d3 and sounds like it has been very reliable for him but individual use and requirements may change what is best for you.
If it is a d2 you are stuck on I think I would choose a 2004 d2 although my 2000 has been great for me

1,855 Posts
I think there is a short cut around here to the mall...
I don't like dealing with traffic.
Dave:D

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daily driver & moderate weekend wheeler.

Would love a D3, but can't afford.

I like the looks of the 2003, but don't know if I like the traction control stuff.
A guy in our club has one & my old D1 would run circles around it in the bush.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Daily driver & moderate weekend wheeler.

Would love a D3, but can't afford.

I like the looks of the 2003, but don't know if I like the traction control stuff.
A guy in our club has one & my old D1 would run circles around it in the bush.
Were both of you vehicles stock? Once you start throwing aftermarket stuff on, you can't make direct comparisons. I've got a '99 D2 with CDL and Tru-Tracs. With the traction control helping out the Tru-Tracs when you get a tire in the air, I can hang with the best of them (modded D1's, Defenders etc..). Yea, maybe I drag my ass once and awhile, but that's what the hitch is there for. Your getting traction control from '99 on, so that's that. The '04's had a software upgrade for the re-introduced CDL. Supposedly a improvement over the earlier years?
The D1's and D2's are apples and oranges. Plenty of opinions either way. Ultimately YOU have to decide which is best for you.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, noob to the forum here and in the same predicament, D1 or D2.

Just to confirm that I been doing my research properly, 2004 D2 in North America reinstated the diff lock on HSE and SE models not just UK?

· Registered
69 Posts
I seem to recall that when I bought my 99 D2 the dealer said that the axle diffs locked electronically? Didn't my 96 D1 have manual axle diff locks in addition to the CDL? My 04 is great now that we've replaced all of the engine gaskets including the head gaskets. Old gaskets just get hard and leak which is to be expected with these trucks I suppose. Next is replacing my shuttle vale switch...I'd recommend the 04 of the three Discovery's that I've owned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.