Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new at this, and I was wondering what would be best of off roading, a Disco I, a Disco II, or a RR Classic, and why? this is strictly an off roader with minimal, but some around town driving, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hmm...not sure, but I own a disco II, and if you just going to trash it, then its not worth paying more for a DII, so take that off the list.

Perhaps a DI would be the best bet, but RRCs have a wider stance I belive. Either way looking at $1-5k for a good one.

anyone?

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
I have owned and wheeled all three RRC, D1, and a D2! Would have to say without a doubt the D1 is the best of the bunch. The RRC would be close behind, but I would stay away from the viscous coupling years 89 onward. Go for an 87 or 88 with the manually locking center diff. and the 3.5 V8 as they tend to be more reliable. D2's are great trucks also but require a little bit more to get offroadable compared to the rest. With the smallest rear overhang of the bunch, 4L V8, and a diff lock IMO the D1 is truck to go with!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
RRC (87-88) - better visibility than a Disco.

·
as good as it gets
331 Posts
I would say it all depends on the offroading you are talking about...there are many different levels of off roading and all takes some money all the way up to masses amount of money to keep your rig trail ready.

You have to ask yourself will this truck also be a daily driver...are you wanting to hit extreme 4x4 trails...do you want a truck that will get you through a moderate 3 trail or an extreme 5.

If you want my opinion on Land Rovers it would have to be the D1..weight and width of a vehicle is a HUGE issue when it comes to wear and tear on a trail rig...the lighter the truck the better on almost all occasions especially when climbing in huge tracks straight up to the top of a huge incline like Barwell Mountain 5 trails.

I'm sure I will get slammed here but this is just an opinion and my own .02 cents. If you are looking for an extreme trail rig to do at least 5 trails I could not honestly recommend any Land Rover truck....parts are just to expensive and it is to hard to maintain...you don't see to many LR Rock Crawlers.

If you just want a truck to drive through the fields around your house or on the beach with your buddies in their stock Jeeps and maybe some moderate trail use, than any Land Rover is just as capable as the stock Jeep and any Land Rover truck will do...just pick one...the one you like the best.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I have a 91 RRC and love it... I have driven the Discos and enjoy them.... I perfer the RRC for the overall off-road, I feel the stance is better, personally I was not able to see as well in the D1 as the RRC...... Here is a few pics.. My truck is almost stock, i have the OME 2" lift and trimmed away a little body.... that is it......http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735661 The DII are great but go with the DI or RRC

·
Registered
161 Posts
Of the three you list, I have little experience with the D2's, but I've wheeled with and inside many Classics and D1's and I'd vote for the Classic.
Ability-wise the're nearly identical and both very capable, but the D1's appear much more top heavy and I've seen them off-camber more often than the Classics or short wheelbase D90's.

Cheers,:beer:
Art Vigil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.