Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a difference in driving? I think I can tell a difference but others swear they cant.

Should I be driving in sport mode on regular roads as I do 24/7, or is it for off-road only?

When should I push the button? Ive been driving down the interstate and seen that someone has turned it off and ill turn it back on.. should I do this in park?

Thanks for any help, panzer.

2,687 Posts
Sports mode holds the gearing a little bit longer, I'll hit it when i'm coming on a highway entry-ramp.. definitely can notice a little more pep..

While offroading, if the truck is in low-gear, then hitting the sport button turns it in Manual mode, which means, if you are in 1st, it'll stay in first until you put it to 2nd.

· Registered
39 Posts
I like it in the city. It definitely accellerates much better in stop and go traffic, but, as was already mentioned, it cuts into the mileage. Having said that, I haven't seen a big deterioration.

From my understanding, it basically tells the chip to change the shift points for the transmission. Allows it to rev a bit more before shifting and therefore you get a bit more go.

Per the manual, when you move to low range, it becomes a manual setting rather than a sport setting. Haven't had a chance to use this yet, but its a cool option.

I just put 1225 miles on my truck in 24 hrs driving home for vacation. On the highway, shut off sport mode for this. Put it back on once I was off the highway again - I'll live with the fuel consumption - sometimes you just need a bit more accelleration.

· Registered
590 Posts
Like RMuller says,

I use it when Im on an off ramp. Windes it a wee bit more. But dont expect it to turn into a 911 just because your hitting the sport button.

Ive seen lots of trucks in my life with teh word "Sport" written on the side and they were just lame pick ups with writing on them.
When you see the word sport on the gear shift of a Land Rover, dont confuse it with the words "Turbo boost" LOL

· Registered
53 Posts
It will NOT save you gas. It will do the opposite... you are keeping your RPMs higher when it downshifts. Keep it "off" unless driving in the hills or pulling a load, or for some crazy reason you need to "sport" your truck on the highway :moon:

I find the transmission wondering too much back and forth between the gears sometimes and it drives me nuts!

I think the most useful part of it is off-road when you need to lock a specific gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.