Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently experiencing a problem. I am getting a chirping noise upon starting off in drive at low speed. If I let off the gas and coast it stops but gets faster as speed increases.If I take it out of gear and rev the engine there is no sound and it's not present during idle. I'll take any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Where does the chirping come from? Does it sound like it's coming from under the hood, or maybe like it's coming from the rear? Is it fast, like a idler pulley, or slow, about the same as one turn of a wheel? Is it clear like a stuck brake caliper, or raspy like some shield rubbing against a drive shaft?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had this high-pitched chirping for a few weeks coming from a front wheel. The sound would only be there when rolling but was not affected by drive, steering or brake.

Lifted the truck and noticed some free play with the wheel.

It was the hub.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where does the chirping come from? Does it sound like it's coming from under the hood, or maybe like it's coming from the rear? Is it fast, like a idler pulley, or slow, about the same as one turn of a wheel? Is it clear like a stuck brake caliper, or raspy like some shield rubbing against a drive shaft?
Its hard to tell where its coming from but it sounds like its coming from underneath. It starts as a high pitched squeak when I'm just starting out then gets more like a quick chirping bird. The strange thing is that it stops while coasting and only happens when I press on the gas peddle. I can't hear it at speeds over 30 mph and it does not make a sound if I take it out of gear and rev the engine while I'm rolling. I'm really stumped.:confused

·
202 Posts
Then I'd stop driving it until I could confirm that it's not a drive shaft coupling. On the Disco, they fail suddenly, spectacularly, and pretty destructively too, taking the tranny bottom casing out along the way.

My old F-100 did just that right before one of the drive shaft coupling failed : it emitted noise only when applying torque on the failing coupling. It did not emit noise when coasting at all.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks LB. Do you know if its easy to change? Could it also be my U-joint? I had a feeling it might be a problem with the drive shaft area because it only makes noise when torque is applied. It seems to be one thing after another with these beauties. I was just under there last week changing the starter.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks LB. Do you know if its easy to change? Could it also be my U-joint? I had a feeling it might be a problem with the drive shaft area because it only makes noise when torque is applied. It seems to be one thing after another with these beauties. I was just under there last week changing the starter.
When he says coupling, he means u-joints. And yes, your's is warning you it's about to fail. Do not drive it until you have the driveshaft re-built or replaced with one with greaseable joints. You have been warned!

·
202 Posts
When he's says coupling, he means u-joints.
I learned English as an adult, so I can make myself understood but sometimes I use the wrong words. What's more worrisome is that it happens in my first language all the time too... :D

I had a shop replace the driveshaft on my Disco because I did not have a garage at the time. I would say the consensus on this forum is that it's not worth it to rebuild your driveshaft yourself because the price difference between buying the parts and having a reputable shop do it for you is not that much. Also there's a double joint in there that's not as easy as a standard u-joint to replace. (I forget the correct name for that joint now... :eek:))

Anyway, stop driving it now until you find the exact cause of that noise. It's begging you to.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I learned English as an adult, so I can make myself understood but sometimes I use the wrong words. What's more worrisome is that it happens in my first language all the time too... :D

I had a shop replace the driveshaft on my Disco because I did not have a garage at the time. I would say the consensus on this forum is that it's not worth it to rebuild your driveshaft yourself because the price difference between buying the parts and having a reputable shop do it for you is not that much. Also there's a double joint in there that's not as easy as a standard u-joint to replace. (I forget the correct name for that joint now... :eek:))

Anyway, stop driving it now until you find the exact cause of that noise. It's begging you to.
Depends on the shop and your experience. It's not terribly difficult.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a thought...
I would try removing the front drive shaft and locking the transfer case. Drive around and see if the sound is still there. This would help diagnose the location.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When he says coupling, he means u-joints. And yes, your's is warning you it's about to fail. Do not drive it until you have the driveshaft re-built or replaced with one with greaseable joints. You have been warned!
Sorry it took so long to get back. The u-joints that are on there now have greaseable joints. Do you suggest I change them or will greasing them be enough. I'm definitely not driving it at this time. I want to do what's best but I also don't want to do any unnecessary work.
When RB said coupling, I somehow thought he was talking about the flex coupling between the rear driveshaft and the rear axle. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Your English is just fine. I thought you were talking about the flex coupling between the rear driveshaft and the rear axle. My u-joints have grease fittings, should I try greasing them or should I change them?:dunno: Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My suggestion would be the centering ball. Had similar problem, chirping but I never suspected the drive shaft as it was rebuilt with grease fittings.

All four wheel off the ground and there is a chirp in the front drive shaft. The center ball does NOT have a grease fitting. Fortunately, a small needle will allow you to spray lubricant into the center ball.

I will be sure my next drive shaft has a grease fitting for the centering ball.

2003 Discovery 140K

·
laments the death of industrial strength soup spor
1,382 Posts
gezz lou... get rid of that fuckin drive shaft. today!!! not if, but will, fail and soon. if your going more than 5 mph it WILL take out your tansmission and it does suck! the original rover shaft is sealed. get it rebuilt with grease-able fittings or buy an HD drive shaft if your willing to stay on top of greasing it. if not get another sealed rover one

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wanted to give a shout out to Justin at Proshaft, LLC. Just got my shaft greased with Lucas #2 Grease and installed this AM. Drives great.

Justin was accessible and answered my dumb questions.

Also, I had the chirping, and after inspecting the old driveshaft I am lucky it did not snap. The U Joints in back were in horrific condition. The front U Joint was greaseable and that one was in OK condition. Moral of the story if you hear chirping stop driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.