Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
"Lifetime" is often a term used very loosely in the trade. Nobody can run a business giving away labour unless they expect to make money up-selling repair and maintainance work.

Dealers will be more familiar with your car but also likely the most expensive.

I use independent alignment shops myself.

My 2c.

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
I read the alignment documentation on the LR3 and it states nothing about being in tight tolerance mode and mentions the alignment procedure for coil and air springs...
If the document you are looking at is old, it won't be in there. They release a TSB, LA-204-007, and revised the procedure. That being said, many dealer tech say it isn't necessary.

Land Rover Workshop Manuals > LR3 (LA) V8-4394cc 4.4L (2005) > Maintenance > Alignment > System Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Alignment: > TECLTB00116 > Feb > 08 > Suspension/Steering - Uneven Tire We

·
Computer Nerd
802 Posts
Nobody can run a business giving away labour unless they expect to make money up-selling repair and maintainance work.
I've used the firestone lifetime service on two different rovers. They get away with it because most people that are talked into it never use it, and when you sell the car it goes away, and they charge like 4 times was an alignment normally costs. I think it cost me $200 for the lifetime, and other shops wanted $50 or $60 for a 4 wheel. I figure it will save me money, because every time I rotated the tires, I'm going to take it back and have it checked. They probably won't have to do much labor anyway, if the car comes in regularly.

The only time I've heard them try to wiggle out was on a friend's Tacoma. They said that the tie rod ends were too rusty at the adjustment point and they were afraid they would break them. They offered to sell him new ends of course. Instead he replaced them himself, got the alignment as close as possible, and brought it back to them. They aligned it no questions asked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.