Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 DII - front passenger side wheel area makes an intermittent "clicking" or maybe a "creaking" sound, usually upon an aggressive acceleration from stop (like merging into traffic from center lane) or fast right turn.

My wife (see how I throw her under the bus) described it as being like the clicking sound the wheel of fortune makes as it turns and hits those pegs.

I personally might venture a guess at a spring "creaking".

...but I defer to you.

I do not see any obvious issues (tie rods, cv boot, etc. all look ok; not new, but ok)

Ideas of what this may be?
Recommendations on better diagnosing?

Thanks.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Weirdly enough I have a VERY similar problem, but mine is at the opposite end of the driving spectrum, typically during low speed driving or while slowing down. The "Wheel of Fortune" noise is actually spot on.

I "think" mine can be attributed to the brakes. Maybe a sticky caliper or a damaged pad. I had a caliper come loose on me while wheeling and it started after this. But I digress.

Your problem sounds like a failing driveshaft or rotoflex coupling as it seems to only happen under load. Pretty common problem with our trucks as LR opted against making the shafts serviceable. Take it to a reputable shop and have it rebuilt or replaced with a version that has the required grease fittings. I'm not 100% certain on the diagnosis, but have it checked out. They're known to fail and when they do they can smash a hole through your bellhousing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
have someone sit inside your truck and give it a little gas, touch purge valve. If it clicks or vibrates, that's your noise. My brothers 2004 has the same problem, the noise has progressed.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm scheduled for the drive shaft and front cv axle to be checked out on Monday.
Given the light screech/chirp at low speeds, heavy CLUNK into reverse and vibration (not the tires) at hwy speed, i'm 99% it's the propeller shaft.

The wheel of fortune noise may coincidentally be a cv joint, as well.

Stay tuned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
181 Posts
is that your truck in the video, with those treadwright back bones?
Yes they are. Surprisingly a lot quieter than you would think for being so luggy. I can here a lot of other tires hum over mine on the road.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the driveshaft shop to see if we could make the wheel of fortune stop.

See the pics. They say it all.

...except maybe a goes-without-saying Thank You to all you forum folks. If my wife and kids would have been driving on the freeway...

Anyway, once AGAIN you have made a difference. Thanks.

Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Pipe Engine
Auto part

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.