Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Wheel predicament - snow set?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SwedishChef 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've gotten myself into a right pickle ;-)

I've used a set of hub adapters to change my PCD in order to fit the new set of wheels & tires I have. Upon fitting them, my old lug nuts were thrown away due to being pretty shot, as they will. Now I have my new wheels on with my hub adapters, and my old set of 'Cyclone' style RRC wheels (16x7) & tires are sitting in the man cave with no nuts to use, because the nuts the hub adapters are using are not suitable for the old wheels.

My goal is to have a set of wheels & tires for snow & mud. I was originally thinking I would use my old wheels and get some snow tires on them, but now I'm faced with the problem that, in order to fit them, I would have to buy a new set of lug nuts ($100-200), and take off both the existing wheels AND the hub adapters each time I swapped them.

What I'm wondering is, would it make (financial) sense to just find a set of steels which use my current new PCD of the hub adapters so that I wouldn't have to remove them or get another set of lug nuts, or would it make sense to buy a new set of nuts and go through the bother of removing the wheels AND hub adapters each time I wanted to go off road?

The tires on my old set of wheels are still in very good shape and have plenty of life in them. The wheels could be better but could easily be refurbished. I figure I MIGHT be able to get $200 for the lot (of 5). Haven't looked into how much steels cost, but the upside of those is that I could get a set which have my new PCD and a narrower width (theoretically) better suited to snow & mud.

Make sense?

What would you do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Alloy wheels and steel wheels take different lug nut types because steel wheels deform under the nuts to keep them tight. Unless your new wheels are steel, they won't work.
Just get some Rover alloy lug nuts at a junk yard if you don't want to buy new.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.