Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, feels like I haven't posted in a while...

Anyway... Here's something I was pondering about earlier...

What are the advantages of a steel wheel over our Stock Alloys?

I know weight has a lot to do with the response, but when we're out on the trail, with our heavy rigs, and loads of gear, are the weight and mass of wheels REALLY going to make that much of a difference?

If I'm not mistaken, when taking on heavy damage, Alloys crack while Steel wheels only get bent...correct?

I ask because for my cross country expedition next year, I was looking into the Wolfe rims, which are relatively cheap, and do give that Military look which I do like a lot, BUT I REEAALLY like my Tornado Alloys. The simple fact that Defenders came with those on there during the same/last years makes me want to keep them on there a tiny bit more.

Can anyone else shine some light on this matter for me?

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Go for the Wolfe. You will not regret it. I think you about summed it up for yourself. Steelies only get bent and they can take a crapload more abuse before they bend.

· Registered
590 Posts
Only prob with the steel rims is they're ugly looking.

A while back someone posted a link to some bad ass looking American racing rims that were teflon coated.

Anyone still have that link handy??

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually like the Military look the Wolfe wheel provides...

But I LOOOOOOVE how the stock Alloys look...

All in all, I think I prefer functionality over looks so I think I'll be going with the Wolfes. I'm such a girl when it comes to these things...gosshhhh..lol

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Dude, I'd keep that whole "I'm such a girl" thing under wraps...LOL!

I think the Wolfe rims look pretty cool. I have the alloys right now but I am going to swtich to the Wolfe rims after...well is my damn list..I think they are #25 on the list... :D

· Registered
590 Posts
JC,
when I was buying BBQ meat meats and a 30 pack of Coors just after Church today I saw a old mitsubishi eclipse in the parking lot that was missing it's hub caps. The rims underneath looked just like those wolfes on that white D 1, LOL.

Im just saying make sure you see everything that is out there before you plop down the kizzy lizzy.
Look into those American Racing teflon coated rims I mentioned.

Someone here posted them, and you are great at finding shite on this mutha so go hunting. Those rims just might be steel as well.

Peace LR brutha, im pool bound.

4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woooord to yo muthas! LOL I have seen the steelies under the hub caps and must admit that they do look like the wolfs..lol,

With the way this thread turned out, I should probably show up to the Fall Rally with Wolfs....Covered by Spinner Hub-caps...lol :cool:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Wolf rims are very thick, on the order of 5/16".In any case they are way thicker than American tin wheels. They are also quite heavy. Got to have some mass there if you expect to survive a mine blast. Though most (including myself) don't, you should get longer wheel studs. You will also want to use standard open lug nuts, not the prissy SS capped ones.
Several unnamed suppliers sell a Wolf lookalike,(not as heavy, or thick) but RDS does have the real deal, at about $75ea.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.