Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making up for no posts/activity for a long time.

My DII needed some new rubber - a nice set of Goodyear (not my first choice, but...) tires courtesy of Goodyear (sidewalls were totally cracked on tires less than 2 years old) - had 70% of tread left. Less than $200 for all four.

High-speed balanced, and 4 wheel laser alignment done to spec and tolerances. I don't think it's tire-related, as it happens when they're hot and cold - and correct inflation all around.

The "shimmy" part - for some reason, every once-in-awhile the wheel shimmies about a 1/2" in both directions - between 20-30mph. I don't think it's road related - the roads in FL are pretty good. I know the steering damper is shot - I had it off for some reason when I was replacing something - can't remember what. By hand - the links, rods and knuckles seem tight.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

BowRat

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the truck, did it doe this prior to the new tires and are you still on the original suspension?
If this started after the new tires, I would go back to the tire shop and have them recheck everything including the lug nuts.
By the way, have you ever had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced to prevent it from failing and taking the tranny with it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike.

The shimmy was there with the bad tires too. I can't remember exactly when, though. I was going to take a video of it and post it online - see if it looked familiar to anyone.

Miles just turned 90k - I've owned it since 48k.

Haven't done the front driveshaft yet. Unfortunately, I don't get off road much anymore, and where I live - the ants make bigger hills! Didn't think it was priority because I rarely put stress on the drivetrain. I've looked at/read the rebuild instructions - maybe I'll give it a shot.

Could the shimmy be caused by the bad damper, or would the front driveshaft be a possibility?

Thanks again!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sure, the steering damper is good for 50,000 miles then it is shot.
As for the drive shaft, it can fail while driving thru a parking lot, you are foolish to avoid fixing it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are the instructions that I followed. I used MOOG joints. Or you can always buy a ready-made shaft like Tom Woods or Great Basin Rovers if you don't want to rebuild it yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts