Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add wheel spacers to my rig to offset my wheels an inch - inch and a half. I think the stance would increase alot including look and performance...but...are they safe???

A friend told me that a shop owner wouldn't pass his rig for state inspection with spacers on. I am confused...are they dangerous??

Does anyone use them...have them...want them...recommend them???

Thanks in advance for any help here.

P.S. I'm talking about wheels spacers with posts...not the single discs with no posts.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've also heard that some states won't pass them on inspections. I believe the Scorpion Racing ones maintain the hubcentric fitment, which would be a good thing. They'll add some extra stress on the wheel bearings, but Discos have some tough bearings- it'll probably shorten their life slightly. Chance of busting a stub axle increases ever so slightly because of increased leverage on it. Overall I think everything would be ok.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I say stay away from them...New rims (steel, blackout . etc) are not that exspensive..... I paid $35 each from www.gulfcoastrovers.com The offsets seem a little on the unsafe side to me..Last I checked if you wanted to wheel in moab they were not allowed.... There is my 2 cents....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I will be staying away.

One other question...what wheels do they make for DISCO I that have more of an offset? Do your black steelies have an offset?

Thanks for the advice guys...last thing i want to do is shorten the life span of my ride.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think I'd rather have a well made spacer than a cheap wheel. The forces acting upon the axle would be the same whether using spacers or a wheel with equivalent offset. The axle doesnt "see" how the leverage against it has changed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I run very large wheel spacers 2" as well as offset wheels with very little backspacing on my Samurai. It is a "trail only" rig running 35" MTRs. I would not want to do the same thing for a daily driver. The Samurai never goes over around 35 and at that speed, with my header and straight muffler, it sounds like I am flying. :rellye

I also run toyota axles, 4 wheel disk brakes, full front cage, and 5 point belts for those of you that think I am crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
yeah, I would never run wheel spacers...EVER! If I wanted to offset my wheel I would just pony up to get offset steelies. Then there is the strain on the parts to deal with, etc...I guess it depends on how much you offset it....an inch might not be too bad....but I would still do it with steel wheels, I dont trust any type of spacers.....loosing a wheel on the road could very well be lethal.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
jkcoda007 said:
Thanks guys! I will be staying away.

One other question...what wheels do they make for DISCO I that have more of an offset? Do your black steelies have an offset?
I do have an offset!!!! Nothing crazy..... but does exactly what I need...Muddy Oval you brought up a good point about the axlle "seeing" the change....I just have seen problems with buddies rigs.... They seem t be problematic!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
IN the UK

I havent tried them but spacers are widely advertised here in the UK so I'm sure there must be plenty of rigs running them. If they were dodgy surley they would be for safe so widely and from such well known LFR independants.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
macdon2000 said:
I havent tried them but spacers are widely advertised here in the UK so I'm sure there must be plenty of rigs running them. If they were dodgy surley they would be for safe so widely and from such well known LFR independants.
It's funny, most folks in the US would rather buy cheap steel rims that bend easily and cause more strain on the bearings than spacers. Also, the cheap steelies they purchase don't even fit the vehicle properly. LR installed hubcentric rims for a reason.

One more thing, cheap lugcentric spacers are not recommended for our heavy vehicles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i have the hub centric spacers from 4x4ag. finally got to run/test them this past weekend. i bought them because i wanted to run the stock disco steelies, but wanted my turning radius back and better stability. running 34x10.5 LTBs.

pros - really make the truck feel stable. was able to take corners more comfortably than previous. i could finally turn the truck around without doing a multiple point turn. i get to still run the tough ass disco steelies. they seem really well made and really hug the hub.

cons - you kind of lose the benefit of running steel wheels with the open hub flange. can no longer just unbolt and pull the axle shafts as the flange bolts are now hugging the wheel opening and you can't unbolt them. have to pull the wheel and then unbolt shafts. was really bummed to find that out. you really need to make sure the spacers are tightened up regularly. i was warned by 4x4ag to retighten the spacer bolts after driving on them for a bit. i still ended up with one spacer coming lose after only driving around for about 30 min. popped the tires off all 4 and retightened all. only one was really loose, but the rest did require a slight retorque. i will be checking them more frequently, but curious if maybe i should put on some very light thread locker?

all in all, happy with them on a non-dd. but i really wish they made some good strong rover steel off set wheels. probably make up the cost easily with the sale of the spacers and my disco steelies.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone making 1" spacers.
If they did I wouldn't run them as the lugnut, which can't be proud of the spacer face, is nearly 1" thick.

Interesting about the spacer lugnuts coming loose. I've been running RTE spacers on the front for 6 or 7 years, never had a lugnut come loose.

As for losing a wheel, I assume that implies all the nuts backing off unnoticed. In addition to the above experience, on mine it's impossible for the nuts retaining the spacers to completely back off, the wheel is in the way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 30mm spacers from Rovers North on my DII. Love 'em. The truck feels so much more stable off road.

Here's an observation I've had though after seeing this thread come back from the dead two years later: I have read so many threads on different boards and this one with so many nay-sayers about wheel spacers. All these people, most of whom, it seems, have never tried them nor can speak empirically about them. Yet, I have never read a word about anybody ever breaking anything because of wheel spacers like all these folks claim they will.

The only problem I've ever seen is that they come loose if not checked frequently. It's a simple case of preventive maintenance to me. Check the tightness of the spacers as you rotate your tires even if you used Loc-tite on the spacer nuts like you're supposed to. I wouldn't expect a spacer to loosen too often then.

Just goes to show you, and no disrespect meant by this, you gotta' be careful with some of the advice you read on these boards sometimes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found these on Ebay - not exactly a spacer but gives you the option to go to a P38 (95-02) or DII (98-04) bolt pattern giving you more options for wheels. Although they are a bit pricey at 1200. They appear to be hubcentric as well.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The only problem I've ever seen is that they come loose if not checked frequently. It's a simple case of preventive maintenance to me. Check the tightness of the spacers as you rotate your tires even if you used Loc-tite on the spacer nuts like you're supposed to. I wouldn't expect a spacer to loosen too often then.
Sounds like some people aren't making very good spacers. Like I said, mine have never come loose, and that's with probably 100k miles on them. Of course, I only have them on the front, but I would expect them to behave the same on the rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've run spacers on my DII for about a year and half, with no problems. As to the tightening required, they should only need about 2 tightenings before they stay put. Just like buying new rims for your car, the aluminum is soft and you should tighten the lugs after the first 50 miles and then after 100 miles. After that you should be good. When I did this with my aluminum spacers, I never had to tighten them again. And x2 on no difference between a wheel with an offset and spacers.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I would like to add wheel spacers to my rig to offset my wheels an inch - inch and a half. I think the stance would increase alot including look and performance...but...are they safe???

A friend told me that a shop owner wouldn't pass his rig for state inspection with spacers on. I am confused...are they dangerous??

Does anyone use them...have them...want them...recommend them???

Thanks in advance for any help here.

P.S. I'm talking about wheels spacers with posts...not the single discs with no posts.
Just my 2 cents worth, but WHY???????????????
It would more strain on our already questionable and expensive hubs and it will greatly increase your turning radius.
Mike

·
Registered
885 Posts
No sparky, it REDUCES your turning radius by giving you more clearance to your radius arms, particularly with oversize tires. LR hubs are neither expensive or fragile.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.