Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Europe in spring, US in Summer

·
VW Dieselgate beneficiary
85 Posts
US dealers have been taking orders for a few weeks, most order deliveries right now seem to be scheduled for June/July.

My local dealer is having a launch party in April with test drives, etc. I'm personally between the new Discovery and a Range Rover Sport - each Td6. Leaning more and more toward the Discovery though. Its purchase will be subsidized by VW once they buy back my Touareg....

·
85 Posts
I swear I've seen about 4 2017 discos in my small little city since Dec/January. (Utah)
Granted it looks just like all the other compact SUVs out there but these were def LR discoverys
They have been doing media road/off-road tests and dealer orientations there and in Arizona outside Tuscon.

·
85 Posts
I'm new to the brand, but have spent time in several Discos/LR4's owned by friends. I like the new design, though out of the corner of your eye it might be mistaken for a Ford Exploder, which might be beneficial at crowded trailheads. And it doesn't sacrifice any off-road capability. It does, in fact, have more capability than the LR4/Disco 4.

·
85 Posts
I checked out a "pre-production" demo (one of the Moab media vehicles) recently at my dealer. It's pretty sweet inside - very spacious, tons of storage (the small box behind the climate control panel is perfect for an XDS or other small pistol), and the seats are very comfortable. Tons of legroom behind the front seats, and the cool thing is, if you option the 3rd row, you still get a full-sized spare, which you can't do on the RRS. Without the 3rd row (SE or HSE), there is storage under the load floor. Don't know what that looks like as the one we saw had the 3rd row.

It does look ten times better in person. It's big...and it looks longer than the LR4, but not in a bloated way. I think it's 4" longer. It looks very taut and muscular from the front and rear, side does still look a little like a Durango, only better.

Little things (cool to me, probably not new to RRS drivers):
-The 360-degree cameras have guidelines on them that show you how close you can back up to an object and still open the tailgate and doors without obstruction.
- the 4x4i information display is standard - shows tilt and pitch, wheel articulation, etc and you can use the 360 cameras to show you what's in front of the vehicle below sight lines and what's around each front wheel.
- Full LED headlights! Unless the ballast goes, no more padiddles and dealing with halogen or HID bulbs because they should never go out. But if the ballast goes, that will be expensive out of warranty....
- Storage everywhere.
- The dial gear selector will take some getting used to, but I like it better than the RRS death stick that's ass-backward to put in Park and doesn't have a positive Park position engagement feel. With the knob, turn it left till it stops, it's in Park. With the RRS lever, you have to look at the display to ensure it's there.

Deliveries for April orders are now estimated in October. It's popular!

·
85 Posts
I have it on good authority that the US EPA fuel economy numbers for the 2017 Discovery will be released some time after May 8, 2017 (pending a continuing resolution is passed and/or a full budget), and that an EPA emissions certificate for the Td6 diesel engine has already been issued.

I have a deposit in, just waiting for an allocation. Looking at October/November delivery....

2017.5 Land Rover Discovery HSE Td6
Silicon Silver
Tan Windsor 16-way power leather seats, Ebony IP, Ebony carpet, Ebony headliner
Meridian 825W sound
Capability Package
Cold Climate Pack ("Climate Comfort Pack")
Protection Pack
Wheel Locks
Tow Package
Autonomous Emergency Braking
360 Park Aid
Full Sized Spare
Silver Painted Roof Rails
Activity Key

Comes in a hair under $70K, and Volkswagen is going to subsidize about $30K!

Edit: I'm following diesel certification for new models very closely...I currently own a superb example of a VW Touareg TDI with a locking diff and low range, but it will be bought back in the next few months. MB has now been "served notice" that they're in violation and may withdraw diesel from the US, and FCA has ceased production on their EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee because they have been determined to have a defeat device also. So, BMW and Jaguar Land Rover are the only automakers in the US who offer diesel SUVs worth considering. And the BMW X5 can't off-road. At least not well.

·
85 Posts
Well, at $50k, they're not that exclusive.
I don't know about you guys, but around here you can't swing a sexually frustrated soccer mom without hitting five LR3/4's. Especially in Denver.

But that's OK, because the LR4 can't go where the Disco can. There won't be too many on the trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Edit: I'm following diesel certification for new models very closely...I currently own a superb example of a VW Touareg TDI with a locking diff and low range, but it will be bought back in the next few months. MB has now been "served notice" that they're in violation and may withdraw diesel from the US, and FCA has ceased production on their EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee because they have been determined to have a defeat device also. So, BMW and Jaguar Land Rover are the only automakers in the US who offer diesel SUVs worth considering. And the BMW X5 can't off-road. At least not well.
As an owner of a '10 MB GL350 Blutec diesel, I've been following this diesel-gate stuff pretty closely. I thought it was suspicious when MBUSA quietly pulled the diesel option off their website for the 2017 model last year. First VW/Audi/Porsche caught and now Mercedes. So the question is who's next? Is BMW really clean or the EPA just haven't gotten around to investigating BMW yet? I was planning to trade my GL for the new Disco 3 row with the TD6 but I'm getting a little gun-shy on diesels right now. I guess now I'll have to wait for the MB settlement to see if they are going to buy back my GL or fix it. In any case, like a lot of other diesel owners, I'm frozen in place until the courts and the EPA work things out with MB.

Maybe GM will come to the rescue and drop a diesel from their pick-up into the Yukon or Suburban. Hopefully, the EPA has tested plenty of those engines.

·
85 Posts
As an owner of a '10 MB GL350 Blutec diesel, I've been following this diesel-gate stuff pretty closely. I thought it was suspicious when MBUSA quietly pulled the diesel option off their website for the 2017 model last year. First VW/Audi/Porsche caught and now Mercedes. So the question is who's next? Is BMW really clean or the EPA just haven't gotten around to investigating BMW yet? I was planning to trade my GL for the new Disco 3 row with the TD6 but I'm getting a little gun-shy on diesels right now. I guess now I'll have to wait for the MB settlement to see if they are going to buy back my GL or fix it. In any case, like a lot of other diesel owners, I'm frozen in place until the courts and the EPA work things out with MB.

Maybe GM will come to the rescue and drop a diesel from their pick-up into the Yukon or Suburban. Hopefully, the EPA has tested plenty of those engines.
Don't forget FCA...their 3.0L EcoDiesel JGC and Ram 1500 are off the market. However, I think that if an automaker is selling 2017 diesels or sells them in new applications from here forward, they have survived the rubber-glove/Moon River treatment from the EPA and CARB.

I feel your pain. How has the blue book for your GL fared? If it hasn't taken a hit yet and you really want a new truck, I say don't wait, otherwise if things really start moving on MB, the value will tank pretty quickly and you'll have to wait a long time. Right now they're not in the mainstream news much so I'd bet used car lots and private buyers aren't generally that aware of their pending troubles. You'd be surprised how little most people have paid attention to the VW Dieselgate news.

I loved - hell, I still love - my Touareg. We got an initial $1,000 before the 3.0 TDI was implicated, and I used that to have a full fluid flush done (I off-road it a fair bit) and to buy a new Android Auto head unit. Since I had no intention of getting rid of it, anything I got was a bonus. Once it was implicated, we were in limbo until just a month or two ago. Now we're just waiting for the buyback to start. I'll be getting 200% of the *current* blue book, and nearly 200% of the blue book from September 2015, and I can drive it up to 1,250 miles per month without affecting that value until 2019 if I have to/want to.

If MB is forced to buy back your vehicle or otherwise compensate you, I think VW's precedent will ensure you get compensated very handsomely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good advice DieselRanger. I just turned 70K on my GL, so not in a big hurry to get rid of it. I really do like it and was planning to just upgrade to the latest GLS but when the pulled the diesel option, I started looking at RR and LR. I want the 3 rows, so that led me to the new Disco. I love the torque of the diesel and the gas mileage and range are real bonuses.

My nephew had a TDI VW so I already knew about the deals that current owners are getting, so once MB was officially implicated, I figured I would just hold on and see what happens. A friend is in the process of buying a new Macan for about $10K after the buyout offer from Audi on his Q7. If MB wants to do something like that for me, it's worth the wait.

·
85 Posts
Good advice DieselRanger. I just turned 70K on my GL, so not in a big hurry to get rid of it. I really do like it and was planning to just upgrade to the latest GLS but when the pulled the diesel option, I started looking at RR and LR. I want the 3 rows, so that led me to the new Disco. I love the torque of the diesel and the gas mileage and range are real bonuses.

My nephew had a TDI VW so I already knew about the deals that current owners are getting, so once MB was officially implicated, I figured I would just hold on and see what happens. A friend is in the process of buying a new Macan for about $10K after the buyout offer from Audi on his Q7. If MB wants to do something like that for me, it's worth the wait.
Low miles for a 2010...hang on to that thing and enjoy it. I just rolled over 100k...it's just getting broken in!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.