Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 RR has a ticking sound coming from the driver's side top end. I can't tell if it's an exhaust leask at the header or what. Would a muffler shop be my best place to take it for a diagnosis? :dunno:

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Just crawl under the dang thing and hunt around for it.. shouldn't be too tough, expecially if you leave it running. Just chock the wheels and use due caution!

Serg

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Get your wife or friend to stand behind the truck while it's running, have them put their foot on the exhaust pipe (with their back against the tailgate have them left their leg and cover the tailpipe). You stand in the front of the truck and listen for the leak. Basically, you need to cover the tailpipe for a few seconds. Don't do it with sandals on or barefoot :confused

But like everyone else indicated it probably needs to have the bolts tightened. The ones on the down pipe (between exhaust manifold and y-pipe) are 13mm or 1/2" (I think). You'll need a long socket extension to reach those, don't overtighten or you'll break the studs. It might also be the gasket between the manifold and down pipe.

The bolts on the head are 15mm I think??

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
294 Posts
Drivers Side Top End.....

drivers side top end, rockers a possibility? The flange at the top of the cat tends to break and can be welded again if yer lucky... just another worthless opinion hope it helps.... c-ya

· Registered
1,506 Posts
LRR219 said:
drivers side top end, rockers a possibility? The flange at the top of the cat tends to break and can be welded again if yer lucky... just another worthless opinion hope it helps.... c-ya
You are absolutely correct. I had that problem on my Disco. Must be a common problem.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sometimes I overlook the obvious, I guess! I'll look at tightening bolts tomorrow, see if that helps- Don't really see any black residue anywhere...plenty of rust on the exhaust though!

· Registered
127 Posts
Ticking......

Here is a list of ticking causes, starting the list with the easiest to fix down to the hardest....

-Leaking exhaust manifold (tighten bolts or replace manifold gasket)
-Cat's can tick when insides become loose(put a long self tapping screw through the middle of the cat, which holds all the insides tight) or replace Cat.
-Hydraulic lifters, (can be adjusted) Should be able to hear this as soon as engine is first started (still cold).
- Loose cylinder lining - these move up & down when engines get to high mileage, causeing a ticking sound (you dont normally hear this at cold start up but as things get warm the liners exspand & they begin to move - I have heard of people just living with this for years (not much you can really do for this except total rebuild or new engine).

I hope your ticking is at the start of the list!
Good luck,
Andy

· Registered
81 Posts
Landy-Andy said:
Here is a list of ticking causes, starting the list with the easiest to fix down to the hardest....

-Cat's can tick when insides become loose(put a long self tapping screw through the middle of the cat, which holds all the insides tight) or replace Cat.
-Hydraulic lifters, (can be adjusted) Should be able to hear this as soon as engine is first started (still cold).
- Loose cylinder lining - these move up & down when engines get to high mileage, causeing a ticking sound (you dont normally hear this at cold start up but as things get warm the liners exspand & they begin to move - I have heard of people just living with this for years (not much you can really do for this except total rebuild or new engine).

Good luck,
Andy

The '95 Disco I am thinking of buying has a loud ticking/clanking to it. Sounds like it is coming from behind the drivers side front wheel well near the top.

The dealer selling it looked at it and determined it to be the cat. They are going to replace it by removing the cat and putting a straight pipe in.

Now the tick only happens once it has been driving for a bit, and it warm. I would think with a cat tick it would happen when cold also? Can anyone give some opinions on this? The disco has 150K kms on it.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Landy-Andy said:

Good luck,
Andy
I think the cats rattle when the inside becomes loose, right?

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
myhomescape.com said:
They are going to replace it by removing the cat and putting a straight pipe in.
WTF???
What kind of dealer would do that?
That is ILLEGAL in my state (Oklahoma) and we don't have near the laws that California has for emissions. Nor the testing requirements.
Wow! :eek: I am shocked, really.

· Registered
81 Posts
OkieRover said:
WTF???
What kind of dealer would do that?
That is ILLEGAL in my state (Oklahoma) and we don't have near the laws that California has for emissions. Nor the testing requirements.
Wow! :eek: I am shocked, really.
Not illegal here. No emission requirements here in Alberta, Canada.
Way cheaper to put a straight pipe in then replace the cat.

Removed all the cats/pre-cats on my last vehicle also. :) Also added EGR block off plates....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.