Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where a 2003 Discos were made? I am in Canada? Is it in the States or in Britain. Also, when did Ford take over from BMW?
THanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
They are all made in the UK.
Mike J.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Every Land Rover ever made has been built in the Solihull plant on the outskirts of Birmingham, England (As shown on the name plate attatched to every Series I/II/III Land Rover). Some where built locally in Australia and South Africa from kits shipped out from the main factory until this stopped in the 1960s.

BMW took over both Rover and Land Rover in 1994. Ford took over just Land Rover in 2000.

Jack

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Correction

Land Rovers is still assembled in South Africa.

True, Land Rover did build from imported kits up to the mid 70's. Then, due to the Japanese flooding the South african market with cheap imports the government introduced a "local content" law. some percentige of each car sold in SA must be MANUFACTURED locally (Not imported and assembled).

During the late 70's Landrover produced SIII's with locally manufactured trimmings.
However the law aimed at developing a totally South African car industry and increased the % of local content on a regular (pre determained) basis.

This gave rise to the Land Rover R6. (The same as the 109 "intermediate" with the level nose found on the 110's).They came in only 109 Trucks and station wagons.
Pertol enjin was a locally build 2.6 l 6 Cyl Holden enjin & Diesel a Perkins 4.2 L 4 Cyl build locally under licence from Perkins.

In (About) 1986 the First 110's came of the line in SA. Also build with a certain % of local content.
Currently all Land Rover modals are made in SA (I am not sure about the Range Rovers Though)
We now even Export certain Trimmings to Land Rover UK! (Seat Covers I Think?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts