Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· skeletonkeyartglass.com
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Disco2 and it's been a rockstar for the last 7 years. Now I fear I am hitting the wall. I recently got the O2 sensors, exhaust manifold gasket (?), and some random hoses replaced. Nothing too major. Now that I have it back, and the check engine light is now flashing. There is a new ticking when the engine warms up, a weird smell ( not antifreeze, smell like catalytic converter), and scanner says misfire in cylinder 1. What does all this add up to? I am sooooo not a mechanic, can you tell? I think this was ok for a while, but now things are getting tricky that she's getting on in years. :dunno:

· skeletonkeyartglass.com
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have spent many hours researching, and have come up with bad/sticky lifter, oil pump, slipping liner, spark plug/plug line, dirty oil. As I said, I am no mechanic, and the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I got the work professionally done, and I spent 1200$. Should I be taking it back to them? Is there a simple place I can start ? Oil additive ? It's such a needle in a haystack for me, but I was hoping some of you might be able to streamline my symptoms.

· Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure what might cause all those symptoms, but adding an oil additive to mask symptoms isn't the answer. I'd take it back if they guarantee the work that was done. Do you have a RAVE manual? What about engine codes? You say you have a scanner, what are the codes it's giving? I'm sure Disco Mike will chime in. He'll probably ask about codes as well.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a 99 Disco2 and it's been a rockstar for the last 7 years. Now I fear I am hitting the wall. I recently got the O2 sensors, exhaust manifold gasket (?), and some random hoses replaced. Nothing too major. Now that I have it back, and the check engine light is now flashing. There is a new ticking when the engine warms up, a weird smell ( not antifreeze, smell like catalytic converter), and scanner says misfire in cylinder 1. What does all this add up to? I am sooooo not a mechanic, can you tell? I think this was ok for a while, but now things are getting tricky that she's getting on in years. :dunno:
Don't over-complicate it. If it was relatively OK going into the shop and is now having problems, 1+1=2. The shop screwed something up. The most pressing problem is the flashing check engine light (aka, the don't drive me light). You've answered your own first question. They changed the O2 sensors, now you smell catalytic converter odors and the flashing check engine light is on. They messed something up. Wrong O2's?, forgot to hook one up?, broke a connector or wire?. A bad misfire could also trigger the CEL. Did they replace the spark plugs or disconnect the leads for any reason? Again, did they break a lead, a plug or just not get it hooked back up correctly? What hoses did they replace?. It should be on your itemized receipt. I wouldn't worry about the ticking until the other more serious issues are resolved. It could be as simple as them messing up the exhaust manifold gaskets.
Is this a LR shop you took it to? Bottom line is that for 1200.00, it should be repaired correctly. I'd get it right back to them and tell them to do it right. AND, they should pay for the tow to get it there.
- Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.