Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 99 d2 with 58k and just got it this past summer. ive been hearing a clunking/shifting? noise somewhere in the drivetrain whenever the car is in motion; that is, slowing down or accelerating. its very frequent. anyway ive checked my axles, driveshafts and other things, from what i can see it looks fine. i know its a very vague description but any advice would be great

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
It's totally normal. If you do a search on this forum, you'll see tons-o-posts about this very thing. The transfer case is gear driven, not chain driven. There, by nature, is a little 'slack' in the gearing and that is what you hear/feel. It is most apparent upon the release of the accelerator, and is most pronounced between 30-70MPH.

Does this describe what you are experiencing? My dealer suggested switching gear lubes from the factory stuff to either Redline or Motul. Apparently this will help reduce the gear whine sounds as well.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
The other problem that could be causing your noie could be the front cardon jpints on your front drive shaft. They have been know to fail because they did not come from the factory with grease jerks. They over heat and take out eith er the t/case and or the tranny. Have someone check these right away, I replaced mine at around 38,000 miles and the bearings were dust.
Mike J
99 DII

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
02disco2 said:
It's totally normal. If you do a search on this forum, you'll see tons-o-posts about this very thing. The transfer case is gear driven, not chain driven. There, by nature, is a little 'slack' in the gearing and that is what you hear/feel. It is most apparent upon the release of the accelerator, and is most pronounced between 30-70MPH.

Does this describe what you are experiencing? My dealer suggested switching gear lubes from the factory stuff to either Redline or Motul. Apparently this will help reduce the gear whine sounds as well.
you pretty much nailed it. the noise is okay with me as long as its not a problem. . ill look into these cardon joints, so i dont know if im off the hook yet but hey man thanks a lot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.