Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Disco II 4.0 uses a lot of oil. I've only driven the thing maybe 400-500 miles since I got it running, and it's used at least 3 quarts of oil in that time. With oil consumption like that, I would expect it to either smoke like a chimney or leave puddles on the ground everywhere it goes, but it does neither. There's no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil. It runs fine and recently passed NJ State Emissions.

So where is the oil going?

I just cleaned the bottom of the engine as best I can, driven the car a bit and searched for leaks, but I haven't found any. Before the cleaning, there was a drip on the oil filter and another on the sump at the very back. Now these areas are clean. The rocker cover gaskets are dry and the heads are clean.

Are there any known problems in these cars that lead to excessive oil consumption without any traces of where it's gone?

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
Not trying to insult you, but how much oil did you initially fill the engine with. When I replaced my engine, the truck took nearly 7 qts to fill, accounting for the oil cooler that had been drained. A normal oil change with filter is 6.1 qts.

I agree that 3 qts in 500 miles would show somewhere, if not on the ground then out the tail pipe!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hate to tell you, but if your truly using that much oil, and it's not on the ground, that engines in BIG trouble. The smoke out the exhaust may not be as obvious as you think. How do I know? My mother-in-law's 2004 Forester is using that kind of oil and only belches a little smoke now and then. However, if you run a finger along the back hatch, you see the black oily film building up. Your looking at collapsed oil control rings or bad valve guide seals. Time for a leak-down and compression test to get more info.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You need to do an oil consumption test. When stone cold on level ground prior to a cold start, fill the engine so the oil measures right on the full line. Then every day or so, on level ground prior to a cold start check it.
You can loose oil because of the oil separator, the intake manifold gasket is loose or bent or failing rings. How many miles on your engine?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to insult you, but how much oil did you initially fill the engine with. When I replaced my engine, the truck took nearly 7 qts to fill, accounting for the oil cooler that had been drained. A normal oil change with filter is 6.1 qts.

I agree that 3 qts in 500 miles would show somewhere, if not on the ground then out the tail pipe!
I put the requisite amount of oil in and checked it after the change, and several times thereafter. The truck is new to me so I'm keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time for a leak-down and compression test to get more info.
I did both those things recently while I was dealing with the broken rocker shaft it came with when I bought it. Compression numbers were between 130 and 170 on a stone cold engine except for #2 where it was closer to 110. Not great but not awful. Leakage numbers were all in the 25% range, again stone cold.

I could retake them now that the engine runs so I can do them warm. I would hope they'd improve.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to do an oil consumption test. When stone cold on level ground prior to a cold start, fill the engine so the oil measures right on the full line. Then every day or so, on level ground prior to a cold start check it.
You can loose oil because of the oil separator, the intake manifold gasket is loose or bent or failing rings. How many miles on your engine?
I'll try and get a better handle on the rate of oil use. There are 143,000 miles on the truck, but the internal engine parts I've seen don't look that old. Can a Land Rover dealer run my VIN and engine number to see if the engine in my truck is the one it shipped from the factory with? You never know.

The intake manifold gasket is new and I was pretty careful putting it in, new clamps and end seals, following the torque sequence, etc. I don't see any leakage there.

Please tell me more about the oil separator. Is that the little baffle in the pipe on the RH valve cover? I assumed that was there to condense oil and regulate the flow of vapors into the intake plenum, unless there is something else that does that. The old 3.5 liters had a large flame trap on the RH cover connected to carb vacuum, with a small orifice on the opposite valve cover to restrict the amount of air getting into the crankcase. Their version of a PCV valve, I guess.

In any case, I removed that baffle, cleaned it, and inserted it back in the pipe. Is there supposed to be any filter media in the baffles? I didn't see any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts