Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Land Rover with some sort of tank mounted to the outside of the body on the side. It could have been a fire extinguisher or some type of water tank. Not sure but it looked pretty cool and I would like to add it on. I could always use hook brackets from Home Depot but would prefer a solid mounted unit.

·
very disco
640 Posts
that's not very much information to go off of... where to buy some sort of mount for some sort of tank?

i don't know that i'd entertain any side-mounted tanks as the aluminum body panels on the disco aren't particularly sturdy, and if you do any off-roading, there's a chance it gets ripped off

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's not very much information to go off of... where to buy some sort of mount for some sort of tank?

i don't know that i'd entertain any side-mounted tanks as the aluminum body panels on the disco aren't particularly sturdy, and if you do any off-roading, there's a chance it gets ripped off
Seem to work fine for my ladder...

·
very disco
640 Posts
you could just use the rotopax universal mounting plate and buy more rotopax jugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw a Land Rover with some sort of tank mounted to the outside of the body on the side. It could have been a fire extinguisher or some type of water tank. Not sure but it looked pretty cool and I would like to add it on. I could always use hook brackets from Home Depot but would prefer a solid mounted unit.
So it's all about the bling. Having the most gadgets and looking cool.

Is this guy real or is he a troll?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m guessing you mean Jerry can mounts typically seen on defenders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. That's the idea. But below the rear window on the Discovery.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could just use the rotopax universal mounting plate and buy more rotopax jugs.
I have the universal mounting plate with the mount but there isn't a metal stem long enough to stack more than 2 so I have to use zip ties. Also not sure if it would rip the body panel off with the extra weight hanging off the side.

·
very disco
640 Posts
If you look closely at the defender images bimmertech shared, it looks like they attach to cages and other various trimmings. Not to mention, the defender has steel body panels doesn’t it? That’s why they’re always rusting?

I think you’d have to mimic the ladder install and maybe hang your mounting hardware from the gutter and just use rivets to keep it from flopping.

alternatively you could pull the inner panels and put some bracing behind the body panel to offer more support. A filled jug is heavy.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did not even know what they were or what they were for, but you wanted them because they looked cool. Now you are trying to convince us that they are not for looks????
Just google "Jerry Can Holder Discovery 2" and you will see lots of different mounts for them.
Heres how YOU might use it
No that is NOT how I would use it. That's a bit of a snide comment. That Jerry can "bar" looks silly. I would never put that on my Rover....

I try to avoid using Google anymore BTW. Too much propaganda. Regardless I already did Google it before I asked on here. None of the mounts I saw were units that attached to the side body panels that could be used for a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I found fire extinguisher body mounts made from billet aluminum with emergency pull release that can be drilled into the body panel. They are called called "Drake Fire Extinguisher Mounts". Will need to locate large toggle bolts (unless they come with it) to mount it and a square mounting plate for support.

If I could set it up right it would look good. You never know when the fuel tanks gonna explode right? They look really good on Jeeps. They should also look good on a Land Rover.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay I found the aluminum mount, fire extinguisher, toggle bolts, and black aluminum support plate, and rubber support plate that can be cut to shape. This should spread out the stress over a wider area so it doesn't damage the paint, indent, or rip out of the aluminum body panel. I'll mount the tank either vertical between the passenger and cargo window or horizontally under the cargo window. Cannot make up my mind what would look better mounting wise. the other Rover driver had his tank mounted along the rain gutter and roof rack. However I feel the mounting location should distract from the top heavy roof look to make Rover look more balanced.

Does anyone know if there are any wires or sensors between the windows or under the cargo window? I know there is a storage bin (if you don't have chairs) but can't find any diagrams in the RAVE manual.

·
very disco
640 Posts
Why do you insist on this externally mounted fire extinguisher?

my extinguisher is inside the rear door, and it’s modestly sized. Big enough to put out the truck, but if the fire is any bigger than that I’m driving away.

mounted to the outside with a release tab, you’d better hope that somebody doesn’t walk off with it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Externally mounted looks better. Have you seen the ones on the Jeep?

·
very disco
640 Posts
Its not just for looks.
Externally mounted looks better.
no, i'm not really into hanging buckets and jugs off the side of my truck. IIRC, you have like 16gal of storage on your roof?
attaching an external fire extinguisher to the side seems like a needless task, with no real benefit aside from looks, and numerous disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mounted to the outside with a release tab, you’d better hope that somebody doesn’t walk off with it!
Yea I didn't think of that. Hmmm. No worries. I'll just buy another one. Or maybe pin it so they can't yank it off there.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts