Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, having major issues with my air suspension. It’s all the way down. Brought it to the dealership, to scan codes and diagnostics, and they wanted to replace one air strut, a fuse, and the compressor.
I ended up buying and replacing both struts(found a deal on two struts with 60,000 on em) and it didn’t fix the issue but at least I have pretty new struts. Apparently one had a hole in it.

I have a front valve getting shipped jn the mail and a new fuse.

I also had the compressor replaced about 200k ago. So I have an extra old one sitting in the shed. I was thinking about rebuilding it.
What is the best kit for it to ship to Canada? I have a 2007 model which is the hitatchi one I’m assuming. I have time to rebuild the thing at work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What happens when you try to raise it? Does the compressor fire up and lift it to normal height? Have you pulled power and measured for dropping overnight? There is a lot of trouble-shooting you can do before throwing parts at it.

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
true. the dealer's method is parts-darts, because they earn incrementally along the way.

a bit of outside-of-the-book troubleshooting with some of the minds here can help you save time and money, although judging by the mileages you've cited, you're probably due for some parts anyway lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the vehicles suspension has zero air in it. When you start it, the compressor will run for about 3 seconds then stop plus throw up a suspension fault error.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replaced the struts but a front valve block, plus relay, is jn the mail. I just don’t want to pay 1600 for a new compressor(quoted). Pretty sure I can rebuild my old one or get one for cheaper somewhere.

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
I ordered my rebuild kit on amazon, for $80 I think. I ended up upgrading to the AMK compressor, and even that only cost me $750

Reactions: degen

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like a leak in the system is causing the compressor to work too hard, so it quits. Do you have a GAP tool or equivalent so you can watch the live values of the Gallery Pressure?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No diagnostic tools. Would get one under 300 tho. Dealership ran the codes and diagnostics. They think the compressors exhaust valve isn’t opening properly too

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
if you can stomach around $600, a nanocom evo or GAP tool would have much utility for you. the foxwell tool can service EAS and is just a hair under $200 on amazon, but it can't do nearly what the bad boys can.

are you getting the C1A13-64 code?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you can stomach around $600, a nanocom evo or GAP tool would have much utility for you. the foxwell tool can service EAS and is just a hair under $200 on amazon, but it can't do nearly what the bad boys can.

are you getting the C1A13-64 code?
I HAD a diagnostics tool I think lynx or skmethjng. But was stolen so I’m kind of sour about buying another. Foxwell sounds ok....

Idk I just ordered the rebuild kit I’ll try fix the old compressor when it gets in. That and the front valve then idk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update
All my parts are in. Front struts are already done.
I just replaced the filters, and beads, in the dryer.
Have some bolts soaking in pb blaster since I read the exhaust one breaks a lot.

The piston runs smooth as butter and looks mint. There was some type of sealant on top of I’m the cover so I am going to scrape it all off and put on new sealant.

I’m just slowly rebuilding the compressor(the spare one I had... it did work like 7 years ago when I replaced it with a new one under warranty... but was throwing up a traction control error and pushed to get it swapped anyway.

Front valve block is here I’ll install it along with a relay.

Just worried about some of those lines. I’ll update when it’s all in.

Hoping it works as I bought a new windshield and passenger side mirror as well. Fixing this thing right up as it will be my main whip

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey just looking for some advice. The exhaust valve bolt or whatever isn’t coming off with a fair amount of torque. I’m afraid I’ll shear it off. If it shears off will I pooch the whole unit? Been reading that bolt might not even have to come off. Should I just leave it in case I dig myself in a home? I soaked it overnight in pb blaster. I think I’ll just try do everything else but that bolt.

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
try rinsing off the PB and hitting it with a torch before wrenching. not only is it effective, but fire is fun too

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I’m getting everything installed by this weekend. If it doesn’t work I’m gonna find a coil kit. I’m 900 into the air suspension fix already so...

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
900 + a coil conversion probably isn't any different than 900 + some more EAS work, price-wise. however, only one of those options leaves you with adjustable ride height.

I'm clearly biased, but you do you!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not just adjustable ride height, Rev.....cross-link valving for better articulation. That's the most important part, to me...and people seem to gloss over it.

True though, that if you coil it you HAVE to be at max height all the time to clear larger tires. Not so with the EAS.

I'm also a staunch EAS advocate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
900 + a coil conversion probably isn't any different than 900 + some more EAS work, price-wise. however, only one of those options leaves you with adjustable ride height.

I'm clearly biased, but you do you!
True, I’m kind of committed at this point for eas but if this rebuilt compressor doesn’t work I may have to sink another 800 (1600 from dealership) into it for a good compressor.
The 2” of lift is cool with coil. I do actually use the ride height option. I won’t be able to slide into my garage since I have a rack and need normal or access mode.

·
very disco
2,062 Posts
@HOUM_WA I could extol the virtues of EAS all day. the fact of the matter is; it's all good lol

the EAS is one of the defining characteristics in my opinion.

@degen I'm not sure why, but solving my problem was moving from Hitachi to AMK compressor and updating the firmware on the EAS computer. the (brand new) Hitachi should've worked, but it didn't. after that, I had new front valve, new reservoir valve, new front bags, and new compressor. my all in costs were maybe $1400 total (plus my blood/sweat/tears), but man was that a great ride after. felt tight, worked as designed, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, looks like I have to track down a compressor bracket this one is completely shot. Called dealership but it’s 350+

1 - 20 of 21 Posts