Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

im interested in buying a used landrover for around £5000 but dont know where to start.

ill need it to be able to run from yorkshire to somerset about once every 4 months but other than that it will be doing quitre light work.

can anyone give me any advice as to which model will suit best (iim guessing the series as these seem cheapest!), how many miles to the gallon i can achieve and whether i should go for petrol,lpg or diesel.

any advice welcome,
cheers,
jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jim
E-Bay would be agood start.
Auto trader and exchange and mart are both good sites to visit.
Better stil pop into you local large newsagent and have look at the LR magazines. Loads of ads in these.

For £5k you could get a good Range Rover!
Steve

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
which one??

Hi Jim,
The choices you have are many and varied ill go through the various motors you may then have the info to decide:-

Series Landrover.
Pros:-Cheap initial purchase,cheap parts,very simple,generally reliable,they have a certain charm,you can throw owt in the back.
Cons:-Diesels can be noisy,mpg not great (23mpg for diesels,15-19 petrol),max speed 60mph(practical),not good for long journeys,lacking creature comforts.arms like Arnie when parking.
For 5 grand expect to buy the best of the best.

Defender 90/110.
Pros:-Vast improvement over s3 in ride and comfort,cheap parts,reliable,easy and cheap to repair,excellent off road capability,as the series 3 you can put owt in the back,good motor for towing,reasonable mpg(2.5 petrol 20mpg,3.5 petrol 16-18,2.5d 25-28,2.5td 26-29,2.5 tdi 29-32).
Cons:-can rot like hell if abused,2.5 td can have its problems not the best of the bunch,tdi parts a little expensive,2.5d a bit on the slow side.
For 5 grand expect to buy a good late 300 tdi mint condition

Discovery
Pros:-comfortable,easy to drive,quick,stylish,reasonable mpg(27-30 tdi,15-17 3.5 petrol)again good tow vehicle,share a lot of parts with the range rover.
Cons:-Rot is a major problem with older ones usually in awkward places to repair so can prove expensive,build quality has been brought into question,later models are better,electrical niggles.
For 5 grand expect to buy a mint P plate tdi of a good R plate.

Range rover
Pros:-basically the same as the discovery.but top of the range are very plush and nice.
Cons:-Rot can be a problem,electical niggles,
for 5 grand expect to buy a mint m plate classic

My personal favorite for you needs regards power unit would be a V8 model with LPG conversion whether it be a rangie,discovery or a defender.

I would be tempted by a V8 110 with lpg myself a landy for all tasks.

My rangerover is on LPG and is costs the same to run as my 1.4 honda civic. :clap:

petrol is 80-84p a litre gas is around 35-39p a litre :buttrock:

Cheers ONz :drive:

QUOTE=jimmyvet]hey all,

im interested in buying a used landrover for around £5000 but dont know where to start.

ill need it to be able to run from yorkshire to somerset about once every 4 months but other than that it will be doing quitre light work.

can anyone give me any advice as to which model will suit best (iim guessing the series as these seem cheapest!), how many miles to the gallon i can achieve and whether i should go for petrol,lpg or diesel.

any advice welcome,
cheers,
jim[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
68 Posts
be prepared to travel

Finding and buying your landy is the best bit. I looked on autotrader and the classifieds in the back of the landy magazines. Went to a couple of independant dealers for a look (landrover man in somerset?? and the defender centre west of birmingham) both where really helpfull but you will pay about £1000 + more than private. I bought a 110 300tdi csw which has been brilliant. I get between 28-31 mpg thats with a roof rack and towing a 16ft trailer most of the time. The only other option I should have looked into a bit more would be a 110 LPG'ed V8. Is there a better sound? Good luck. It took me about a month and about 10 viewings to find what I wanted. Be prepared to travel! I did about 3000 miles by the time I'd found the one I wanted and I'd do the same again. But at £7000 it was the most I'd ever spent on a car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
macdon2000 said:
Finding and buying your landy is the best bit.
I AGREE!
I had so much fun looking at Landys for sales and giving them a drive. The best bit was the way I was treated on the forecourt - a girl in a business suit driving Landrovers? Whatever next???

For my £5000 I got a nice L Reg'd (1993?) 200 TDi in excellent condition externally but in major need of a service, poor thing.

I tried loads of types of LandRovers before I purchased but went for the Disco based on handling, size and prestige.

For your journeys, I'd say the Defender would be a bit uncomfortable for those longs hauls (sorry Defender owners), the Range Rover would be a bit of a petrol guzzling monster, but the Disco should do you proud.

Nip to Tescos and get yourself a copy of Landrover Owners International magazine - you'll find loads of ads and excellent advice to both the new Landy buyer and the 'old hands'.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have to disagree

In the politest possible way of course (and as I have one I have to be bias, ot's in the rules) I do lots of miles in my 300tdi defender and I have to say they are more comfortable than my Audi. Because you except the fact that you are going to drive slower the drive as a whole is alot more relaxing than when you know you can put your foot down and sit in the outside lane and arrived stressed out because of all of the idiots that are putting there feet/foot's!?! down in the outside lane (yes I have just re-read what I wrote) I a regualry drive from essex to cornwall and essex to aberdeen and in the audi I would be shattered after it but in the landy it's so much easier. Slower but easier. Anyway enough waffle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bargains to be had

there are some good classic rangerovers to be had out there i got mine thru the autoexpress web site,a1990 vogue 3.9 se automatic,with lpg conversion,1yr mot+4new tyres+new tailpipe for £3500.00 and with lpg @39.9pper litre it is not to heavy on the pocket.

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts