Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MK 1 Disco with a 2ltr petrol engine twincam but it is getting tired now.

Dose any one now if I can put in any other rover Diesel engine i.e. 2ltr turbo diesel from the 400 0r 600 range ect ?

I would like to now if I can do this with out having to change the gear box ?

I have a Range Rover for parts but it has a v8 in it and I use this for fun so I don't want to brake it if I don't have to.

All help and comments will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
What Engine, is right! I have never heard of a 2 litre twin cam engine in a Disco. What year is this Disco? Can you post a picture of it.
But, returning to your question, What engine you can replace it with depends almost entirely on what gearbox is in the car.
R380 5 speed or ZF auto?

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
alanv said:
i see this is going to be hard to find out which engine :dunno:
You can fit any engine fitted to a disco you wont need to change to box just the bellhousing an easy task I would go for a 200 Tdi no cam belt problems and much cheaper than a 300 or stick a V8 in it and get a gas conversion cheaper again.The 2.5 VM TD may be a straight swap Ive a feeling it is but not 100% these can be found in rover 825 TDs and some 88/89 rangies.

And for our American contingent The engine Alan has is the 2.0 Mpi unit used mainly in rover cars of the early 90s the engine was re developed for the freelander,the MPi disco was produced mainly for the italian market to beat certain tax laws I believe,but a small amount where sold in the UK but proved unpopular against the TDi and V8

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s the best help i have received on this matter and much appreciated,
as for the bell housing i did try to fit a range rover box on a p38 but had no joy matching any if it up. but at least if i get an engine it will give me the push to everything else.
Once again thanks for all the help.
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.