Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this purchase is driving me crazy. You can pay any money from $18 to thousands for an OBD2 reader or scanner. Some work better (the more expensive ones) but none seem to work on the ABS system or our '96 D1. For a budget of about $200, what's good value?

Autel, Innova Equus, Actron or ?

Advice please. Thanks

·
DiscoVT
57 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have two.
I have the $50 one from Actron. Its simple, reads codes, erases them, tells you if the MIL's are complete or not and which ones. I bring it on trips Its simple and easy and I use it 99% of the time to read codes. Amazon.com: Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader: Automotive

I also have a Bluetooth Dongle. It was cheap and I run it with the TorquePro app($5 I think). It will read and clear codes but it takes a little longer to do so, not much though. I keep the dongle plugged in and use it for coolant temps mainly, though with the App it will do just about anything your ECU will let it.
Amazon.com: Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks LRE96Disco & fish EH.
I will buy two. A cheap scanner made by Innova (3040) and also a little Bluetooth thingie (WiiFi for Mac?) for really cheap.
I've heard from several people that certain code readers/scanners will not pick up certain codes on specific vehicles.... reason unknown. So apparently it can be hit and miss for cheaper, nonprofessional units.
ABS and airbag codes are a different situation - so we'll see if I can solve my '97 Volvo ABS problem with the Innova. The ABS codes for our '96 Disco may not be accessible by any after market readers.
The OBD2 code reader/scanner world seems to be changing very fast.

Cheers, Pavel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.