Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Adam in NYC.

I post this for my best friend. He fell in love with my 1996 D1.

He loves the Disco and he loves the rugged looks of the Defender but he is also a father of two boys (which is fun by us, except for the glass breakage).

He is on a budget. I lucked out with ebay.

Anyone has suggestions where to get a Defender or Discovery for a decent price?

2,687 Posts
Have him buy me a 97 d90 and he can have my disco :)

While the defender is a ton more fun.. the disco is probably better with kids.. not only for the fact that its safer and has airbags, but just has more room for all their stuff and more comfort.

the best pricing i've seen on discos have been on this forum and on Discoweb

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
For a family i'd have to go with the disco..... For a wheeling rig or toy D90....

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rmuller said:
Yeah with the whole budget thing... you can pick up a 97 disco1 for ~5k.. you can pick up a 97 d-90 for about ~35k :)
I saw it too, in Copleys.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Unless he got a 110, he'd hate a Defender with two small kids. One rainy saturday morning running errands and getting them in and out of a 2 door at every stop and he'd be ready for the asylum.
And, budget and 110 are mutually exclusive, so go with a good Disco. Loads of bargains on ebay. Don't laugh either, I've bought many cars on ebay, you just gotta have your wits about you, and know what you're bidding on.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rmuller said:
Ehh. most 97 d90s are still around that range.. I have yet to see a 97 with low miles under 30k.
That is usually when you have to do the engine lookover. I guess most see that enomrous bill and decide it is time to part with the Defender.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TerryS said:
Unless he got a 110, he'd hate a Defender with two small kids. One rainy saturday morning running errands and getting them in and out of a 2 door at every stop and he'd be ready for the asylum.
Well, both are in school and in little league. The future vehicle will be basically a urban warrior with occasional off-road romps.

This well be interesting............

· Registered
346 Posts
I agree with all the above, a Disco is the way to go from a cost/practicality perspective. I would say however, I have a 3 year old boy and 5 year old girl and they always want to go in Dad's D90 vs. Mom's Volvo V70. I will admit on a rainy day with lots of stops, I would take the Volvo (or better yet, have my wife take the kids and run the errands and I would go wheelin).

To the credit of both the Defender and the Disco, I ran across this:

"Road accident statistics on a model-by-model basis from the UK Department of Transport show that the Land Rover Defender and Land Rover Discovery are the safest cars on the UK roads (measured in terms of chance of death in an accident) - between three times safer than the safest Volvo models, twice as safe (half the death-rate per accident) compared with the Jeep Cherokee and Toyota Land Cruiser and only matched by the Mercedes S Class and Jaguar XJ."

Yea, the wifey loved the dig on Volvo........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.