Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have just purchased a 2010 HSE LR2 for my wife and today I have noticed that what I thought was a slight bit of noise from the back is quite a large amount of noise. When I did the test drive it was flash floods so the noise was drowned out by rain and road noise. Today though it is very clear.

Here is a link to a recording I made:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6tzWFKcCVKaVUdTQTRJUDVNLTg/view?usp=sharing

It is faint on the recording at 09s you can hear it kick in. It is only when accelerating and goes away when the car is pulling on it's own.

To sum up the sound, if you had off road tires on your car and got that kind of whir / spinning whine sound they make. It is like that when accelerating and only from the back of the car.

I would really appreciate any advice before I start the process of going back to the garage to get it sorted. I feel they will just turn around and say "it's your problem now".

I will try and make a better recording off it. Hard to do in a quiet street here without breaking the speed limit by keeping accelerating.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Most likely failed bearings on the diff. Metal shavings in the lube will tell the tale

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. I just wanted to reply in case anyone else ends up here. It turned out that the rear diff was shot. The dealership was amazing and replaced it free if charge. Top stuff by them for taking on such an expensive repair to honor the sale.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Cool, glad to hear you confirm it was the diff and that it was more importantly taken care of for free - best part.

·
1,793 Posts
Change the gear oil on your front diff ASAP.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts