Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just installed new head gaskets into my 04 (86,000 miles) and now it seems everytime I start the truck cold I get large amounts of white smoke from the exhaust for a few minutes then it disappears. the coolant isn't getting lower so my next guess is that I may be burning oil. I do have a check engine light for emissions which makes me also think I could be running rich and that's causing the problem. I have no idea. Any suggestions?

·
Returning Rover
123 Posts
Have you checked your oil again to see if it is the least bit milky looking? The coolant may not be getting lower but can still mix with the oil. The head gasket may not have been the only problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No milky oil, and there doesnt seem to be a sweet smell from the exhaust. I don't know what else to check, my check engine light is on for emissions so i'm hoping it is just running rich.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Smoke or steam? Steam = coolant. Smoke = oil. And yes a lot of fuel could do it. Start it up and hold a Kleenex to the exhaust for a few seconds. Do you smell any raw gas? Better get the codes read.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Also on a cold start in the morning you will see the exhaust as there is condensation cooking off in the exhaust system. If it's not blue then it's not oil and if it doesn't smell sweet it's not coolant. If those two are out it's nothing to worry about.

Now those codes on the other hand are.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Those codes are not causing the steam. Have you cold started the engine and smelled the exhaust, do it smell sweet, if so it is coolant.
So now you have some codes, what are you going to do to fix this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I've just replaced the head gaskets about 100 miles ago and it never did that until I replaced them. But I followed everything by the book with no discrepancies, it went pretty smooth. I'm not losing coolant anymore and i've replaced all of the O2 sensors about 5,000 miles ago. The only other thing I could think is that the MAF is bad and the mixture is off right? I know the difference between smoke and steam and I can assure you this isn't steam. This morning I started it up and inhaled more exhaust than I probably should have, it doesn't have a distinct odor to it at all. it just makes no sense, however if I do start it cold and then try to rev it up after about 20 seconds it seems to bog down a little until it's warmed up, is that s symptom of running rich?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.