Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, kinda new to the group, so sorry if this has been addressed in earlier threads. Just wondered if anyone had some feedback on where they bought their OME, how much$ did you spend, how much$ to put it on or if you did it yourself. Also, if you've got an OME HD hows it work both on and off-road. Is it really that much of a bear to drive on the road (2" HD in mind)? And finally, what kind of tires did you throw on your stock 16". Sorry if that's alot of questions, but my poor college ass needs every dime I make, so I just want to know as much as I can. Thanks alot :wave:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Check the websites of the usual suspects for pricing. SG, EE, RTE, Roversnorth, Red Rhino, etc all sell OME suspension, often as a kit w/ shocks & springs, and at any time one of them may have a deal going on. www.safarigard.com , www.roversnorth.com , www.rovertym.com , etc

If you're in college, you should be able to put it on yourself with no problem. Enlist the help of a friend, preferably mechanically inclined, and use the school's facilities. That's the low-cost option. Next best would be a local independent Rover shop. Finally, any 4x4 shop can do it with no problem. Some Rover-specific knowledge only comes into play if you're adding funky after-market suspension that requires modification, or if you are replacing SLS on a DII.

OME suspension is fine on-road. Very tame compared to other 4x4 suspension products and softer than most,,, although stiffer than stock. I have yet to meet anyone who complained of OMEs on-road manners. I personally felt it handled better than stock.

In terms of tires on 16" rims, it depends on whether you have a DI or DII. For DII the best tire size with OME, in my opinion, is 265/75/16. No driveline mods or trimming necessary, though you may feel rubbing on front radius arms at extreme full turn. Stock brake-lines are fine. On a DII you may want to trim front bumper corners, or let the trail do it for you :D I can't remember the optimal DI size off-hand but run a search & you'll find it.

Run a search for more feedback on this. Also, if you have a DII, see my thread on DII suspension 101. :drink1:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.