Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pick up my second RR a 92 Vogue auto. Reading all the negative comments re costs and reliability, I nearly changed my mind. It did make me question why I like RRs and why others do also.
Thinking it thro, I came up with the following for myself:
1.Memories of idling in a gentle rocking motion up a steep stony climb following a Sierra that had bounced its way to the top.
2.The commanding driving position.
3.The proportions of width, length, height.
4. That lovely V8 sound.
5. Classy interior
6.The Classics important place in initiating comfortably suspended 4WDs.
All these at this point anyway, are enough to convince me to run the gauntlet of reliability problems and comments like these from my friends "Congratulations, I'm sure you'll have weeks of trouble free motoring!"
Why do others like Range Rovers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I'd have to say that it is the whole look and charactor of the car that appeals to me, I first bought mine as I needed to tow some largish boats but that need has now gone and its now right under my skin and there is nothing that feels like it to drive.

Yes there are problems but usually they are niggles and therefore dont interefere with actually driving the thing but again to be honest I know of people with saabs, mercedes, bmw etc and they all have problems. I dont think once sorted out that the range rover is that unreliable and their on road cossetting is unmatched. Ive tried numerous other 4wd things and none have the charactor or give that same buzz and lets face it for ability, 30 years old and its still up with the best out there. Look at it this way you could be spending 20-30,000 on some hidieous X5 pimp wagon or the mercedes 'van' and still have a sub range rover vehicle so spend a few grand on one and use the huge amount of money you have saved to get her just as you want her, look after her and shell go on forever

Also the range rover has class- any age, any model, pull up anywhere and you fit right in with anything on the road however expensive.

to answer you thread title buy one because they are the best.

all imvho

Simon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your perspective simon 285. I wonder if other RR drivers are accidental or regretful owners!!! There's not too much positive feedback. Come on Landrophiles, why are you keen on these machines when they are apparently so troublesome? Ian

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I currently own two, a 1988 and a 1993, both coil sprung.

SWMBO refers to hers (before I removed the engine :D ) as a convertible school bus.

Other than the blowed engine (P.O.), they both run great and drive well, both have more than 100K miles on them and the 88 is driven by my son who regularly goes on several hundred mile jaunts with nary a fear of breakdown (might be misguided though :D ).

If the body isn't rusted out, there isn't much that can't be unbolted and replaced-part are likely less expensive in Oz than the US.

My discovery has very nearl 200K miles on it and we just drove it on a 1500 miles wheeling trip where we were often several miles from civilization-again nary a fear of breakdown-much frightened of getting stuck, but not broken down.

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an '88 with 206k on it...rebuilt the sills with real material and LOVE it...why?

Handsome truck...4 coils capable and will hold my Wife, and dog along with gear...perfect!

RJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
My rangie was my first car and I have had more than my share of problems with it. However i have yet to have a breakdown that wasnt caused by my own doings (and that was only once). I am absolutely amazed by the off road performance and grace with which it can traverse nearly anything in its way. When I go out on trails with (cough) Jeeps, the owners are amazed at how slowly and smoothly the rangie moves. It is a comfortable highway cruiser, can haul loads of stuff, especially with a roof rack, and has the best driving position of any vehicle I've ever driven. It is going to hurt when we part ways but It will have to be done eventually unless I can fond some excuse to store it while I am away.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why?

I took out my dad's lawn and very high end stereo equipment, tools and other crap as a kid and always broke it, lost it and/or it got stolen. I was a bad child. I never studied in school and just chased women... I threw eggs, rocks and big ass snowballs at cars as a kid. I felt sorry for myself often and never really sent thank you cards or birthday cards to caring relatives.
I was bad to people a lot in my life. I am self absorbed.

The Range Rover was created as a cosmic karma mobile to break down, frustrate and get me back for all the bad things I did in life.

Masochism on four wheels.. that is a Rover.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definately the look and feel. I own a 98 RR and I love the Classic RR far more than most new models being produced today. Whether its because of the heritage, its formidable off road credentials or the tasteful, understated lines, the Range Rover has always had that elusive and rare quality called 'gravitas'. Those that sneer at the RR (or Defender), based on their well documented glitches just don't get it, and they never will.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Because!

With enough money to buy a new one I looked into all models, and after a 1 year (yes 12mth) search I found my dream! I bought a 1995 LWB Classic - why? ROOM, LOOKS, SIZE and dare I say QUALITY! That's right quality! Remember folks you are buying what is primarily a hand made vehicle. So hopefully you didn't get one made on a Monday (Hangovers!) or on a Friday (notorious pub lunches!) - teehee.

But seriously I love my RRC - how many owners of modern vehicles do you know that give their pride and joy names! I spent a lot of research time on the many web sites - interviewed mechanics and spoke to owners before buying - I really wanted one and wanted to know what I am getting my self in to. Now it is an obsession that drives my wife beserk!!!! When I get my digital camera working I will post pictures of "BITSIE" (short for Elisabeth, the Queen - 'case she owns the same one!!) sick huh! Oh well.

I bought her from what would be termed a "RR nut" he had everything completely overhauled every 20K miles - new gaskets throughout - it is amazing I think I own the only RRC on earth that doesn't leak!

I now have 67,500 miles on her and service her professionaly, catering to her every whim, whenever she has a hiccup I take care of her - in turn I can go anywhere, anytime in any condition without fear! Ask a J**P owner to follow that!

CHEERS:drink1:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't understand

I cannot for the life of me understand why folks have all these problems with Rovers. I have a 1988 Range Rover with well over 200,000 on it, and it has no leaks, no rust, has never left me stranded, and is my favorite vehicle. When I bought it three years ago, it took a little bit to repair stuff the PO had neglected, but no more than any other 13 year old used car. My cruise and A/C even work. PLUS, it goes on J**P guided trail runs on trails rated for 33" tires and lockers (neither of which I have) and shows up the lifted CJ's and TJ's. It's definitely NOT pampered, just maintained well.

:drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts