Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery ran down and I jumped it last week; started OK and I drove it around for a while. Parked and tried it again; it started fine.

This week I put the jumpers on it again and it will absolutely not start, will not even turn over and the lights and horns flash for about a minute - then go off - then come back on again..

I have a battery on the way but why won't it jump start? Regular cars used to to this and it did so last week.

Puzzled.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
One of my previous D2, I jumpstarted it. Had to replace the ECU afterward. no idea how it happened, it's not like I jumpstarted it wrong. was a real sonofabitch.

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
I would get a fresh battery in her, lock / unlock the doors and try again

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch. Hope that does not happen to mine. Fingers crossed.

Battery ordered and on the way. DII manual says to unhitch the negative pole first.

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
I would always disconnect negative first o (on a negative earth system)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree. You guys got any idea if a completely drained battery would prevent my jumpstarting it from a good battery on a running vehicle? Is there something designed into the LR to prevent it from being jumped, something with the security system or something? I am just surprised. Have been jumping american autos for fifty years.

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
No there’s nothing to prevent a jump by design. I will add that I have two pairs of cables at my house. One pair of cables will jump my LRs and the other set of cables won’t. I’m not sure if it’s cable gauge or core composition or what. The set that won’t work was $8.99 at a chevron

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I had a bad battery. I have no clue why and was waiting to see what Fery says - lol

Regardless, I put the new one in and voila.

·
Drives like an old man
416 Posts
Jumper cables generally can't carry enough current to start the engine by themselves. They're too long and too small a gauge. They work on a low battery but on a completely dead one, they just can't do it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, guys. Assuming the only stupid question is the one not asked - is there anything you need to do to activate a new battery?

The battery from Pep Boys came in. I installed it and it is DEAD. Even removed it, put jumpers on it, and clicked the other two ends together. No spark. It appears to be completely dead.

So do they ship them without acid and the dealer adds acid before installation; is there a secret switch that the uninitiated do not know about?

What??? Or did Pep Boys strike again? (PS - just to make sure I did not pop a fuse or something, I did try jumping it with the new battery in, using my Mercedes. Immediately the lights flashed and the horns beeped but it did not start. Earlier after installing the new battery I could not even turn on the headlights. Dead.)

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Did you buy a lead acid battery? Most modern batteries are sealed AGM or otherwise.

but to answer your question, you should be able to pop that new battery in and party. Immediately.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You need to put a multi-meter on the new battery - it should be around 12.5 volts or more. Having said that my disco will crank (barely) at 11.6, but it always catch's on the 1st or second turn.

• Get it charged and check it before you try to start.
  • It should around 12.6- 13 volts
  • Install and check again
  • Try and start if the start works - check the volts at the alternator and battery
  • If the start fails, and the battery is drained, start simple pull the starter and have it checked
Further if the start fails try turning the engine over by hand with the starter out - just eliminate the worst case the engine will not turn over.
If that is good start checking relays fuses etc.

·
Expert Crate Digger
288 Posts
Not to be a smart ass but are you sure you connected the battery correctly? Neg to neg? Pos to pos?
Did you remove the plastic caps off of the battery posts?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JUKE179r hit the nail on the head. Plastic cap.

Pep Boys tested the battery this AM and said it was good (I hardly believed them). Took it back and dropped it in the battery box. Pulled up the negative cable to attach and could not see through the end. It is dark in the garage so I turned my iphone flashlight on. The silly BLACK cap from the new battery was stuck inside the negative cable. Last night I saw and removed the red cap from the positive pole but could not see the black negative cap.

Popped the black cap out, put both poles on and the emergency flashers and horn started beeping.

They beeped for about a minute and then stopped. I got in, hit the starter, and nothing happened except that the lights came back on and the headlights worked. No joy.

Lost. Then I remembered something about locking and unlocking the door. I did this twice, got in, put on my seat belt, and voila, it started right up. Have been driving it all day and it starts perfectly.

So did locking and unlocking the door reset the computers? Or something like that?

And my apologies to good old Pep Boys; I take back everything I said.

Today is Monday; I love my Land Rover. Check with me tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
🤣👍glad you’re sorted out.
Locking/unlocking will reset the theft deterrent/central locking

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found this.

A "passive immobilization coil" was added around the barrel of the ignition switch to trigger a code from the remote handset when it is inserted in the ignition, enabling remobilization (see remobilization section below). Presumably the theory behind this "improvement" is that a thief cannot start the vehicle even if you forgot to lock it and he can turn the ignition switch on without a key. (NOTE: This wonderful feature also requires you to leave the key in the ignition when changing the battery to avoid immobilization.

Vehicle Battery Death While Vehicle Locked or Superlocked:
If you leave the headlights on or for some other reason the battery dies while your vehicle is locked or superlocked, strange things happen to the alarm system.

This seems to be one of the conditions that sometimes upsets the security system and requires you to use the Emergency Key Access method (see key/remote problems) to "reboot".

Another is when you jumper the battery to start the car, you can easily get locked out. When the power comes back on, the BeCM seems to try to return the vehicle to the locked state. At least one owner has reported that after gaining entry to his dead car with the manual key unlock, he put the key in the ignition and then went out and hooked up the battery jumper cables. Immediately, the vehicle locked him out. If all your keys are inside the vehicle at this point the situation is fairly bleak. So DON'T leave your keys in the vehicle if you get out. If you absolutely have to, at least leave the door or window open.

"Remote Battery Low" Message:
When you get the "Remote Battery Low" signal on the message display, take heed and renew the battery, especially if yours is a 1996 or later model with passive immobilization. On these models, if the battery dies entirely, the remote will not be able to transmit the code to the ECU to remobilize the vehicle and allow starting. (See procedure below under "weak reception from remote handset" before you give up though).
For battery replacement procedure see Key/Remote Problems and Solutions Page

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just looked. The other battery was installed in 2008, a Diehard, so I guess it was about time.

Here is a page from the owner's manual about jumping. Says nothing about needing to lock and unlock after jumpstarting; found nothing about restarting after battery replacement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
"Remote Battery Low" Message:
When you get the "Remote Battery Low" signal on the message display, take heed and renew the battery, especially if yours is a 1996 or later model with passive immobilization. On these models, if the battery dies entirely, the remote will not be able to transmit the code to the ECU to remobilize the vehicle and allow starting. (See procedure below under "weak reception from remote handset" before you give up though).
For battery replacement procedure see Key/Remote Problems and Solutions Page
^^^ That's about a P38 not valid for D2

So did locking and unlocking the door reset the computers? Or something like that?
No need to lock/unlock, only unlock command with fob is needed for remobilisation if the battery went flat while the vehicle was locked or disconnected while the passive immobiiser was active(90 seconds after ignition was off and key removed)

Reactions: redtruck12
1 - 20 of 26 Posts