Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been mulled over countless other times, so excuse me if Im being annoying.. :eek:

My father, who knows nothing about rovers, said he thought they quit selling it here because of an airbag issue.. basically they didnt want to put airbags up to code in them.

I feel that a reasonably priced defender would really give Jeep a run for their money. Why dont they bring it back to the US?

4,346 Posts
They are already planning a redesign fromthe current Defender model (in the rest of the world) and this new one would, or SHOULD, be reachin US Soil. Sketches show it's going to be a Hummer wannabe...but alteast its a Defender :D ..lol

Hek, 97s are SO BADASS I really wouldn't mind spending the 35Gs on a used one!...wait a tik... They'll always be better than anything modern. But this comming from a guy who prefers to pour gas down the carb of his pre-73 car on a cold morning than to sit, turn-ignition, go.

2,687 Posts
your father is right about the airbags.. i think also something with the rollcage, but i could be wrong.

Supposedly they are waiting for the redesign of the defender (~07) to bring it back.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
I have ranted so much on this topic that I'm spent.

In short: I agree 100%. I think both LR & Ford have mis-read the market. Current releases of tough-"looking" trucks back this up. The success of the Rubi backs this up. The high price of used NAS Defenders backs this up.

Ford are a bunch of marketing idiots who care nothing about the history & emotional intensity surrounding the brand,,,which is one thing,,,but even by the numbers are missing a big opportunity.

Pay P-Diddy to drive around in a new 110 on 20" spinners and you would make up your marketing costs overnight,,,,

· Registered
709 Posts
I also heard that it was not just the airbag issue, but also that Defender 90's are military vehicles that were modified to sell to the public. Much like the Hummer. If your market is the military, why cave to a stupid regualtion like airbags?

I'd rather take a hit in a D-90 w/o airbags than a redesigned Beetle... or any other unibody car.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
The issues were many, emissions, crash safety, I'm not sure about the air bags because later models had airbags. All of these issues required a great deal of engineering to overcome at a time when Land Rover was cash poor. They believed their $ were better spent on the new trucks that represented LR's future if they were going to survive.
There is a new Defender in development based on the LR3 platform due out in 07 or 08 I believe.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
lshill05 said:
The issues were many, emissions, crash safety, I'm not sure about the air bags because later models had airbags. .
Which later models? No defender, past or present, has an airbag.

Defenders Need far more than an airbag, in their present form to satisfy the NHTSA.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
TerryS said:
Which later models? No defender, past or present, has an airbag.

Defenders Need far more than an airbag, in their present form to satisfy the NHTSA.
tHATS TRUE!!!!! However based on that i always wondered how the Suzuki Samuri was ever alowed into America???Anyone know??? :dunno:

· Registered
261 Posts
jeep's got it right, every new wrangler-esque model they come out with had two solid axles. they leave the independent suspensions for the higher end trucks, like the grand cherokee. why can't LR follow suit? just because you have to stay up with the market doesn't mean you have to forget about the hardcore traditionalists, the loyal customers that bleed green and put up with the frustrations involved with working on their rover every other week.

· MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
garland823 said:
jeep's got it right, every new wrangler-esque model they come out with had two solid axles. they leave the independent suspensions for the higher end trucks, like the grand cherokee. why can't LR follow suit? just because you have to stay up with the market doesn't mean you have to forget about the hardcore traditionalists, the loyal customers that bleed green and put up with the frustrations involved with working on their rover every other week.
I agree!!! My other half and myself went around the offroad course at the Billing show this year in the new LR3 and got to talking to the Land Rover experience chap with us .We mentioned that we thought that Land Rover had forgotten about the day to day loyal user and that we wish Land Rover would take some of what we(and the majority of LR owners)thought when puting together a new model and to consider the Defender for the uS market. With a wry smile and pure condensention to his tone said..."If we listened to what you wanted we would be out of Buisness and that all you do is recycle used Land Rovers amongst ourselves and were not the Market LR was after."
I said "being that the MAJORITY of LR owners have purchased their cars second hand did not make us second hand citizens and that we are the future of land roved due to the fact real enthusiastsmwould never buy a Brand New Landy to tear about in,and that we know and cared more about LR and the Brand than their new target audience." He didnt care and persisted on praising the LR3 while at the same time showing sheer distain for the enthusiast movement. I fear that this is the new Ford influence and the potential demise of our beloved Brand if the attitude does not change and soon. The Defender Plant in South Africa is closing soon to build the new in demand Ford and Mazda cars and trucks.Africa WAS/ IS the proving ground for these fantastic vehicles and Ford thinks that by moving the plant back to Solihull from the number one sales country in the world is wise????? What are we in for???? Maybe the new Defender plans will be in full swing soon in solihull to supply us all (NOT ME) with the new wrangler...I mean Defender. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.