Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a quick question I am looking at purchasing a 2003 discovery se and it is listed as not running. The guy said the original key broke off in the ignition and he had duplicate made and the car ran for a couple weeks. then now when you try to start it just cranks and cranks and doesn't run. could it be the key causing this issue? it is just a plain metal key no chip or anything? I was a little bit confused on this issue as I thought it would immediately detect that there was no chip in the key and not take 3 weeks to realize and immobilize. thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The D2 has no chip in the key, there's a "passive remobilisation exciter coil" around the key barrel which works together with the fob to send the remobilisation signal to the receiver... as long as it started with plain key the passive immobiliser is disabled in the BCU settings, immobilised means no crank and continuous red alarm led on the dash so the crank no start issue is something else which occured in time it has nothing to do with the key

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.