Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for helping me diagnose my mechanical issues in pursuit of restoring my Disco II to optimal running condition.

Here are the major repairs/services I'll need to render to my Disco:

#1: Rebuild or Replace front and rear driveshafts
#2: Replace all four brake pads only (rotors are good) and Flush Brakes
#3: Tune Up: Change out wires and plugs
#4: Repair 3 ABS Amigos issue (servicing abs system)

I will *not* be able to do #1 and #2 as I don't have the tools and/or strength to do so. PLUS, my apartment building does not allow the repairing of vehicles on the premises, except for under the hood fixes like #3 and #4.

Has anyone had experience having their driveshaft(s) rebuilt or replaced by a "professional" mechanic? Any suggestions in the Dallas area?

Frankly I'm skeptical of mechanics, especially when dealing with this vehicle. If it's not their inexperience about this particular vehicle that worries me, it's the concern of being ripped off. Mind you I'm just a budget-minded college student.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks everyone for helping me diagnose my mechanical issues in pursuit of restoring my Disco II to optimal running condition.

Here are the major repairs/services I'll need to render to my Disco:

#1: Rebuild or Replace front and rear driveshafts
#2: Replace all four brake pads only (rotors are good) and Flush Brakes
#3: Tune Up: Change out wires and plugs
#4: Repair 3 ABS Amigos issue (servicing abs system)

I will *not* be able to do #1 and #2 as I don't have the tools and/or strength to do so. PLUS, my apartment building does not allow the repairing of vehicles on the premises, except for under the hood fixes like #3 and #4.

Has anyone had experience having their driveshaft(s) rebuilt or replaced by a "professional" mechanic? Any suggestions in the Dallas area?

Frankly I'm skeptical of mechanics, especially when dealing with this vehicle. If it's not their inexperience about this particular vehicle that worries me, it's the concern of being ripped off. Mind you I'm just a budget-minded college student.

Thoughts?
#1 can be done by a reputable driveline shop.
#2 can also be done by any reputable repair shop.
#3 you can do yourself. Allow 2-3 hours being that it's your first time.
#4 is tricky, depending on what the exact problem is. You would need an abs amigo or the shop will need the software to read the abs system.

My advice would be to find a reputable LR INDY shop to do the work if you can't do it yourself. HOWEVER, budget-minded and LR are two mutually exclusive terms.
These are rough estimates mind you, but the driveshafts are going to be 2-3 hours labor plus parts. Brakes 1-2 hours plus parts. Plugs and wires 1-2 hours plus parts. Right there your at 4-7 hours at close to 100.00/hr, not including the parts. The ABS is anyone's guess, so you could be looking at a hefty bill, worst case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts