Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best winch to go in a TJM T15 bumper on my DII? something that doesn't cost two testicles would be nice!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dont' know if it will fit the bumper, but if you want cheap.. Harbor Freight.

You could always put a LRO sticker over the HF sticker.

I actually use mine and no major complaints except for slow line speed.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You shoulda told me you wanted a winch- we sell them as combo deals with the TJM bumpers. We put TMax 9500's in those usually on Discos... they've been great and the prices are really good. TMax makes the electric MileMarker winches too and they've been around quite awhile outside the USA and is slowly getting a following here.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think you can still give me the package deal price later? hahaha even though i have already bought my bumper. if so how much will the winch mount and winch cost?

·
Banned
914 Posts
Superwinch X9

Stay away from Chicago Elec, Cummings, Mile Marker, and T-MAXX. These winches work, for a while. But, over time water contamination is a big problem in these winches. Water gets into the motor area, and rust takes over. Also, several people, even me, have had problems with the winch draining battery power over night. I'm not sure why, but once water has entered the unit, it pulls your power. I just put on a "turn off" switch in-line with the power cable. These winches are extremely slllloooowwwww too. Painfully slow. Sure, these winches will get you unstuck, but it's a cheap winch, and don't expect them to last years and years.

I like Superwinch. But, Warm, and Ramsey are good too. I'd stick with one of those three.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you run a winch.. why not run it on a receiver. You can mod that bumper to accept it or tie to frame.

No point having a winch sitting out in the weather at the mall or 7-11 when not wheeling.

Not to mention... on a receiver... you can move it to the back if you just happen to have your ass facing the wrong direction. Which always happens.

·
Banned
914 Posts
texasrover said:
If you run a winch.. why not run it on a receiver. You can mod that bumper to accept it or tie to frame.

No point having a winch sitting out in the weather at the mall or 7-11 when not wheeling.

Not to mention... on a receiver... you can move it to the back if you just happen to have your ass facing the wrong direction. Which always happens.
Cause it gets in the way while wheeling. Receiver mounts are great if your using your winch on the farm to pull **** around, or to pull someone out of a ditch. But, running them off road like that, they will end up hurting you more than helping you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hank,

I will have to take your word for it... not sure how it would get in the way if you have the proper set up with the receiver unless you mount too low.

Seems to me if you have the proper mount that perserves the approach angle (sure, that usually take some custom work, add$$$) it would fine. Little work for a lot of convenience.

The farm truck is a 1999 F350 with 4 inch lift and Ranch Hand bumper with a modifided receiver to take the winch, never seemed to be problem. If you were to hit the winch, you were going to hit the bumber anyways.

Then again everything is so freaking large on those trucks, you have more room to mod.

Your point taken... You can not wheel the same in that truck as you can a rover.

·
Registered
217 Posts
texasrover

If you want the receiver, go for the receiver. If you start wheeling and need the clearance, then set up a mount/receiver in your cargo area for you to store the winch when you are not using it. Is safer that way anyway, the winch would be stored inside your truck so it decreases the chance it will get stolen or get wet.

In my work we have and use winches. Most of the time, we have to put on a "cutoff" switch as well cause we also run light bars, sirens, etc and with all that wiring, bound to be a draw somewhere.

In the past years, my shop (different bases though) have had a receiver mount winch stolen and just this last month, we had a permenant mount winch stolen. I personally don't see any difference in the security issue. If there is a will there is a way to steal your winch. Just ask that member that had his mini stripped in his own driveway (don't remember his handle)

The biggest question you need to ask yourself, how much are you really going to use this winch? If it is just for looks or used in a blue moon, is it worth buying the top of the line name brand?

I run a Harbor Freight "cheapass winch", I havent had any problem with water getting into the motor. Perhaps I am lucky... I like the fact that I saved money cause I don't have much money. With the harbor freight winch, you can always buy the extended warranty.

If and when I put winches on my Rovers, they will be Harbor Freight "cheapass" specials.

I do want to point out that the person that started this thread was wanting a cheaper winch options.

Durability? Military uses MileMarkers, Ramseys', and Warns. I have seen all of them fail. Not saying they are bad... But any electric motor can get over stressed and fail.

I remember a few years back, that MileMarker was offering a Hyd. winch that had a gas powered engine mounted next to it to run the Hyd. pump. It was heavy as hell, but I loved the concept.

I very seldom use my personal winch to get unstuck, I rock crawl in the mountains of Colorado. I use it to take me to places that I guess I shouldn't be trying to go. Last time I used it, I used it to hold me steady on an incline while I fixed my rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
490 Posts
KDKG,

I can agree with that. The reason for the receiver winch on the ford was more about being a cheap ass than security, but after the fact, it made very good sense. I also needed that winch for utility work, on trailers etc... portable was more important at the time.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
TMax and Milemarker winches (the same) don't have the problems Hank, Dan, whatever name he's using now is claiming. They are widely used in other countries but are fairly new to the USA. Do some searching on them on the web and you'll find a lot of rave reviews. Best bang for the buck.
I've heard a lot of complaints on Warn winches burning out lately... but they're the best, right?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I have fallen in love with superwinch brand....The best winch for the TJM is probably the Superwinch X9 as Hank mensioned. If you want to go a bit cheaper for a multi-stage planetary gear winch you will have to cut the bumper a bit and can fit an EP9.0.

I believe the superwinch planetary winches are superior to all other brands because their drum brake is on the outside of the winch spool.....therefore all of them are 100% compatable with synthetic lines and wont melt them due to heat on the spool caused by the brake.

I personally plan to go BIIIG with a Superwinch EP 12.5.......want the capacity and the 150' (I think) of line.

·
MG
771 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your thread Drum, but I have a question and I think the answer may help you make a decision:

Personally, given that I probably (never say never) won't do much of the extreme technical off roading, I like the idea of a receiver mounted winch - I can keep the winch off the vehicle while in town, have low profile HD bumpers (when the time comes), both receivers do double duty as recovery points, and I have to buy only one winch.

I don't have any short term plans to add this modification to the Beast this year, as it would be premature, so I haven't even begun researching the topic (I guess this post would be the beginning). Thus, I would appreciate a few more details regarding the drawbacks of the receiver setup.

Cheers!

·
Banned
914 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
TMax and Milemarker winches (the same) don't have the problems Hank, Dan, whatever name he's using now is claiming. They are widely used in other countries but are fairly new to the USA. Do some searching on them on the web and you'll find a lot of rave reviews. Best bang for the buck.
I've heard a lot of complaints on Warn winches burning out lately... but they're the best, right?
Jesus freaking crist, Steve. Do I need to go open the freaking housing and take a few pic's of the inside of my Milemarker? Do you want me leave my truck with you for a few days so you can see that the winch drains the Yellow Top over night if left connected? Are you saying they are not slow as ****?

They are CHEAP winches. They suck! As for as price, they are NOT cheaper, as you end up buying two to last the life of one good winch.

You want a good winch? Get a upper end Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch. You want a winch to last you a life time, get a Superwinch Huskey. It's not rocket science, Steve. Look over the winches. Look at the components. Cheap is cheap.

Furthermore, good winches are based on more than just " it works fine". Better winches draw less amps, run cooler, and usually pull a LOT more than what they are rated. Are you going to tell me those cheap ass T-Max winches you sell are gonna out pull, last as long, pull less amps than something like a X9?

Milemarker puts out a video that test's various winches, and they compair them to the Milemarker Hydro....maybe you should watch it.

Are you really that hard headed that you think a T-Max is superior to a Warn, or the like?

Here's a Warn thats been on 4-trucks, and was first purchased 16 years ago. Yeah, it gets used, hard.

Here is a Warn I purchased in 1998. It's on it's third steel cable.

Do you think a T-Max or a Mile marker will last this long, or wear out multiple cables? I mean, don't get me wrong, Warn and Ramsey make some **** too....But you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lets please not let this post get out of hand like the big blue spring thread. there seems to be a lot of tense threads on here recently. lets all calm down. i simply asked about a winch and i got answers, everyone has their own opinion and i appreciate all of them! and maybe i will come across some money and i can buy a "high end" winch but unfortunately, being a school teacher does not allow for a lot of extra funds for my rover. although maybe i will win the lottery soon!!! lets keep LRO the best damn site around!!! :clap: :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
a agree drum....I would save up for a good mainstream one; Mile Marker, Ramsey, Warn, Superwinch.....I personally would only consider the latter 3. They will cost more but be worth it.

·
Banned
914 Posts
drum655 said:
lets please not let this post get out of hand like the big blue spring thread. there seems to be a lot of tense threads on here recently. lets all calm down. i simply asked about a winch and i got answers, everyone has their own opinion and i appreciate all of them! and maybe i will come across some money and i can buy a "high end" winch but unfortunately, being a school teacher does not allow for a lot of extra funds for my rover. although maybe i will win the lottery soon!!! lets keep LRO the best damn site around!!! :clap: :wave:
You dont have to buy brand new. Good winches are listed all the time on 4x4 forums and Ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that si true.... but isn't the argument about which will last? with a used one you never know what it has been through and it may only last a month and then you are stuck without any warranty. all i know is that i WILL be buying a winch soon and i WILL have to make a choice...i will figure in everything that i have learned from here when making my choice!! thank you guys bunches...BTW do any of yall wanna sell a winch to me? and then maybe wheel together?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
There is a guy on discoweb.org that is selling two brand spanking new Superwinch EP9.0's for $500 each minus shipping costs.....that is a great deal! There might be some slight cutting involved to fit the EP9.0.....I believe it doesnt fit the TJM bars by something like .25 inches.

You should go see if he is still selling them.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.