Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I need some advice please . . I am looking to move my 97 110Tdi CSW with me to NSW. In recent trips I haven't seen ANY 4WD vehicles with winch installed and since I have one front & rear am wondering if there is some rules or restrictions.
Thanks in advance. Alan

·
Registered
14 Posts
NSW can be a pain in the butt to get anything registered.
Recent law changes can make it hard in this area. AFIK the back wont be a problem, most of the rules relate to the bull bar, and how dumb asses who walk in front of your car may be injured by it.
Mainly the laws relate to things protruding past the front of the vehicle, so in this area winches may be a problem. Having said that there are plenty of trucks running around with them on, it will all depend on the inspector you get. The reason you probably havent seen any in NSW, is the high poser factor, especially in Syd (socer mums).
Im sure there are others who may be able to be a little more specific.
You may be in luck in that its already fitted to an older vehicle.
Best be would be to try and get it passed as is, then if it fails, see what they want you to do.
ARB have winch bars which meet the new rules.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - good to hear it is possible. The winch is housed in a "proper" bumper and A-bar with only the roller fairlead and a 50mm hitch in front - maybe that will have to come off or maybe I'll take the whole setup off temporarily if it fails and find some kind soul who can lend me a standard bumper - why did I sell the original???
I agree on the peds that jump out in front of innocent cars but I reckon your probably safer being hit with a bullbar than the front end of a Defender!
Thanks for the ARB tip, I don't really want to spend too much on what is an 8-year old truck but having just had a very expensive intercooler upgrade maybe that's the answer.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Maybe a lot of off-roaders have got smart and carry Tirfor's only when they go off-road. It really makes a lot of sense. Why lug around all day long 50 +kilos of extra weight on your front bumper not to mention the extra fuel required.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know man, Defenders seem to hold their value pretty well.
I just bought a 97 disco for 12500. I couldnt find a similar defender under 20000.
I havent ever really needed a winch, but with the new disco more sol stuff is likely so Ill have to weigh up the trifor over the electric. Using trifors alot for work, Im not to sure how happy I would be having to pull the lever 100 times to move 1 foot.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It's good exercise and besides it makes you think out your situation before you get into it. An electric or hydraulic winch gives you the sense of invincibility and off-road that's not good. So instead of charging ahead, getting stuck, and having to winch for 20 or more feet/metres you hand winch for less. Also, what happens if you haven't managed to extricate your vehicle and the battery goes flat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they let me I'll stick with the electric winch(es) thanks. As for power, a dual battery set-up with split charge relay and emergency cut-over seems to work quite nicely. Also I always keep the motor running when using the winch and being a diesel, the cost is negligible (diesel is less than 80c a litre in NZ).

@Disco - love your tag line! I also run a Morgan and the same applies to their "craftsmanship" as to the dedicated individuals who assembled the Defender . . .

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you get stuck looking for a frount bar that you can borrow i have one sitting around, not to sell but to get you through if you need it. The only catch is that I am in canberra 3 hours south of syd.
As far as using a tirfor, for get it I have had to pull countless trucks and caravans out of really dumb arse places with a tirfor and it's soooooo much easier sitting back with a little hand control pushing the switch back, then getting to watch the winch do the work. :clap:
Adam

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Have you ever had to get upright a "roll over" with a front mounted winch? Not an easy task when there are no trees about and miles from help. Near impossible I'd say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@130CC - Thanks for the offer :cool:, I'll see how I get on and maybe get back to you should the need arise. The whole move thing has gone quiet until after Christmas now so no rush.

:drink1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts