·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
674 Posts
Solid!

My regulator just crapped the bed on the driver's side (dude said he replaced window and regulator but it went tits up the other day)

Cannot wait to check this out!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
When you get inside the door you may find it is not a bad regulator but just a broken roller or connector. Have not looked inside my DII but on my DI the roller was broken. Stealership said they did not sell this piece and I would need to buy an entire new regulator.

I ended up fabricating a replacement roller and it worked fine. Not sure the DII has this same setup.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know the BMW e36 has this roller clip problem so I'm hoping it's the same type of issue. Where you just pop in the new clip/roller and finagle the regulator (cause something probably bent) and it's work fine thereafter.

I'll update once the rollers come in!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Why do guys not want to fix the issue?

How many times do you expect a regulator to break during one's ownership of the truck? Maybe, maybe twice.

Regulators aren't expensive and you get a one year warranty-minimum.

If you can't afford to fix it, get a Toyota and ignore the maintenance on that!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
PT - I think the dealership quoted me $400 for a new regulator on my DI. The regulator was not broken. Only the roller was broken. I fixed it for about $20. They did not carry parts for repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Local shop charged me $100 to fix my regulator. I'm guessing at that price they probably fixed the roller. I do it myself now. Two other windows have crapped out on me since they fixed that one.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
PT - I think the dealership quoted me $400 for a new regulator on my DI. The regulator was not broken. Only the roller was broken. I fixed it for about $20. They did not carry parts for repair.
Standard labor rate is 0.95 hours.

The part at most costs $100 (I sell them for less than that including shipping!).

Even at my $100/hr labour rate, it's still barely $200 to fix it correctly.

And, FWIW I don't think I have ever had to replace a second one.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
PT - we must be talking about different mechanisms. I am talking about the motor and the arms which move the window up and down - I call all that apparatus the regulator.

When the plastic roller broke on mine (motor worked fine) the dealer said they did not sell anything to replace the roller - told me I had to purchase the entire apparatus - which I thought was called the regulator. I fabbed a new slider myself to take the place of the roller.

·
The Old Guy
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, regulators can be purchased for cheaper than dealer cost. Lucky8 has them for 25.00(less motor) or 50.00 with motor. I got 9 rollers for 39.00, and take pride in maintaining my Rover as inexpensive as possible. When 1 roller is all it needs, 5.00 is 10% of replacement cost. That is an oil change. I don't get the correlation between frugality and overlooking maintenance.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Good news. Obviously I am out of date. Mine was a '96 DI. Window stopped going up and down. Pulled off the door card and found the roller was broken. Dealer said they did not sell anything to fix it and wanted to sell me the entire motor, arms, etc for $400 which I thought was called regulator. I did not bite and fixed the roller myself.

Good luck with it. Can you post a pic of the replacement rollers?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If you FIX it, you get a one year warranty.

If you cobble it, you get to cobble it again.

I get it, I was once the Cheap Bastard to beat all Cheap Bastards and then I realized that by truly fixing my trucks, I didn't suffer the failures I did.

The cost is not the price and neither are necessarily the true value.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, took off the panel and imagine that! The rollers were intact...

The regulator arm was a little bent but the issue was the two retaining bolts were completely loose and the window just detached itself...so that was interesting!

No new rollers needed and I just laughed at the stupidity of the dude who "replaced" the motor and regulator but didn't tighten down the retaining bolts to the regulator track itself...hilarious

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.