Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any love on where one might get retro-fitted roller(s) onto the window regulator? I visited the hardware store but did not find anything that will fit onto the "pin" over that "flanged" portion on the regulator that the roller would need go onto.

Safety glove Blue Glove Medical glove Finger

· Registered
317 Posts
Check out this thread from a few years ago. A member over on landroverforums.com designed two piece, 3-D printed rollers back in 2015. They are still for sale at shapeways.com. The link is in the landroverforums thread linked below.

I bought them back then, but I ended up just buying a whole new regulator because I wasn't able to cement or glue the two halves together and get them stay glued. All of that is described in the thread.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey all,
Anyone have a 3d printer that could fab up some rollers?
Just throwing it out there.
The dude alluded to in the prev post is non-responsive on selling or shipping his version plus Redrover's comments on the glue.

· Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
514 Posts
No joy on that - Regulators are fairly inexpensive these days though? Or is it the process to change it you don't wanna deal with?

· Bleeds Green
203 Posts
Anyone have a 3d printer that could fab up some rollers?
Yes, but from your picture it probably wouldn't last. Non-professional 3D printed stuff is nowhere near as strong as molded plastic. I can think of four likely problems with something 3-D printed at home:
  1. I don't think the layer adhesion of the printed part would be able to take a load in a single spot. It'd likely split apart if there's some force.
  2. Amateur 3D printed stuff is never perfectly smooth. It'd probably skid very easily and wear through.
  3. You'd have to glue two halves together around the pin. That glue would not "flex" like the printed plastic so it'd probably snap at the seam.
  4. Your "pin" looks like it has a divot worn into it. That's exactly where a 3D printed part would fail. You'd have to fill that with JB weld and sand it down so it matches the curvature of the pin to even have a chance for a short-term 3D printed solution.
You'd be better off replacing the part. That said, I have printed some things for my Disco and they've gone well. This, for example, works great!

· Registered
2,101 Posts
This may sound crazy and may not be what you need. But I had a '96 Disco that had this problem. The dealer said I needed to buy a regulator. But I purchased a (I think it is called) sliding jaw hard plastic piece from the Mercedes dealer for my 1981 Mercedes 300SD. It is rectangular, white, and travels along an aluminum track in the regulator which moves the window up and down; they are designed to bust if there is too much tension on the regulator rather than bending the regulator arm. I took the plastic apart and used one side which fit on the Disco roller with a bit of grinding. Surprisingly it worked perfectly and never had a problem with it again. Will look to see if I have a pic. It was the passenger side window, right rear regulator.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts