Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
been using ubuntu but haven't figured out how to get it working with itunes as of yet.

Been wanting to try dreamlinux but haven't got around to it yet.

·
The Zebra
1,179 Posts
You may need to use an older version of iTunes

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
you may be right, no idea I've just been messing with linux for about 6 months off and on. Once I figure that out though, I probably won't use xp much anymore.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I just finished downloading kubuntu so I'll burn a disc and install it tonight and see how it goes :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
ArmyRover- as LandyII pointed out the Beta has been pulled. The next version of Windows 7 to be released will be Windows 7 RC1, however details on its availability have not been disclosed by MSFT yet. If you are interested in possibly being a RC1 tester I suggest checking out the Windows 7 homepage (Welcome to Windows 7) or the Windows Blog associated with this page every few days for updates on the matter.
In case you are curious these were the system requirements for the Beta:
1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
1 GB of system memory
16 GB of available disk space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
DVD-R/W Drive
Internet access

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Well my laptop can handle those requirements. So I'll keep an eye out for the next beta release and I might give it a whirl.

I'm surprised by the amount of space the os requires though on the hard disk. Of course I might just be getting used to a linux os that have a much smaller foot print.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. The odd part is I'm sitting here reading through that running kubuntu on a sd card :D

I'm kinda digging this one over ubuntu Landy I'll have to install it and try a older version of itunes like you suggested.

·
Truth > Freedom
572 Posts
I have much love for the Ubuntu flavors. If I were not such a MSwhore I might be tempted to switch, but I am too in love with Vista. It might be because I have Vista Business installed, which is my only experience with it, and it is a no-nonsense leave me alone but look pretty sort of package. :D

There's also the issue of me needing Adobe CS3 for work... :complain:

Hey Jeff, when is MS going to do a hostile take over of Adobe so I can have error-free Photoshop and InDesign? :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I am an actual MS employee. The Outreach Team is relatively new so we are working to develop a name for ourselves on forums like Land Rovers Only. If you ever see one of us in a forum feel free to ask us Microsoft related questions. We do our best to answer the questions we can and if not we are usually able to point people towards an answer.
Cool...

So Jeff, I'm currently beta testing XP Pro on my wife's laptop (just kidding)... anyway, how do I get .NET framework service pack 1 to install? It downloads from the Windows Update site with no problems but a few minutes into the install it stops and says it encountered problems and was not installed. The laptop is fully updated and patched without problems except for this update. My other computers had no problems with this update.
Any ideas? TIA

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Well Landy I'm digging the kubuntu but, my screen is flashing slash glitching so I have to figure that out lol :banghead:

·
Truth > Freedom
572 Posts
Cool...

So Jeff, I'm currently beta testing XP Pro on my wife's laptop (just kidding)... anyway, how do I get .NET framework service pack 1 to install? It downloads from the Windows Update site with no problems but a few minutes into the install it stops and says it encountered problems and was not installed. The laptop is fully updated and patched without problems except for this update. My other computers had no problems with this update.
Any ideas? TIA
Try downloading the fullfile: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en
It will usually get you around the occasional Microsoft Update glitch. Just download and run...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Oops.. I should have been more specific. .NET framework 3.5 service pack 1 is the one that won't install. Versions 1 and 2 installed with no problems. This laptop just won't accept the newer version. :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not Microsoft tech support, so bear with me as I try to find a solution to your problem tcpfl. First off try downloading it manually from Download details: .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 rather than Windows Updater. Secondly, be sure that you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed on your computer. You may also want to take a look around the following forums for people with a similar issue. I looked at a few of the threads regarding problems installing this SP and there are a few Microsoft MVPs giving out advice on the matter- .NET Framework Setup : .NET Development : MSDN Forums
Let me know how it goes.
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Okay, it didn't work with the bootstrap or the full version. Both start to install and after a short time stop with a message saying the program encountered problems and then it wants to send an error report to Microsoft.

I know you probably have better things to do than to try to figure this out and the laptop works fine without the update so I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks for your help anyway :wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bummer those fixes didn’t help you Tom. I'd dig around that TechNet forum when you feel the urge to give it a whirl again. Nice dolphin fish in your signature picture by the way.
Chazz- I have not seen any plans in the hopper for a hostile takeover but I’ll keep my eyes peeled :)

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

·
The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Bummer those fixes didn’t help you Tom. I'd dig around that TechNet forum when you feel the urge to give it a whirl again. Nice dolphin fish in your signature picture by the way.
Chazz- I have not seen any plans in the hopper for a hostile takeover but I’ll keep my eyes peeled :)

Jeff
Windows Outreach Team
Jeff, you're a good guy to try and help out :D :wave:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts